Scrolling so smooth like the butter on a muffin [How to: Animate the Horizontal/VerticalOffset properties of a ScrollViewer]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of

See you there!

1. michaudv says:

Why don’t you make a behavior of this? this way peoples working in blend can reuse it. Just an idea

2. David Anson says:

According to my current understanding of Blend Behaviors, I could not use them to add the writable DependencyProperty that’s necessary to get the desired animate-able behavior. If you know otherwise, a pointer to more information would be great!

Either way, that doesn’t mean you can’t use this solution with Blend! 🙂 Once you’ve compiled ScrollViewerOffsetMediator into some assembly in your project, you should be able to drop it onto the XAML design surface just like any other element – and then hook it up via the standard Blend mechanisms, and everything should work just fine. Other than the code for ScrollViewerOffsetMediator, my sample is 100% XAML-based – no code required – so the general process should be pretty Blend-friendly.

Hope this helps!

3. SharpGIS says:

I managed to convert this code to a "real" Blend behavior which cleans up the usage a lot (no need for the ScrollViewerOffsetMediator). I’ll try and blog it tonight.

But basically it now looks like this:

<behaviors:MouseScrollViewer />

4. SharpGIS says:

Inspired by your approach I blogged my ScrollViewer behavior here:

I made a few changes to the animation. I only use EaseOut since this gave a better feel to it, and instead of using Grid.Loaded for triggering the storyboard I used the MouseWheel event.

5. David Anson says:

Great stuff! Loved the post and thanks very much for following up on this! 🙂

6. WantsMoreSettlesForLess says:

If the ScrollViewer was not created in xaml then, when this thing constructs, there is no ScrollViewer.

public ScrollViewer ScrollViewer {

get { return (ScrollViewer)GetValue(ScrollViewerProperty);

returns null since there is no actual scrollviewer control when this runs.  FYI.

7. David Anson says:

The code you show is a DependencyProperty getter, not a constructor. It will return null until a value is set – which the example XAML does via a Binding/ElementName, but which could be done in code by setting the property.

Hope this helps!

8. Balint Farkas says:

Thanks man, this just saved me hours and hours in a SL project.

9. ismail karacan says:

many thanks great stuff !

10. Rich Jardine says:

I am WPF newbie.  I was looking for an auto-scolling ScrollViewer for some dashboards I am porting to WPF from legacy Windows Forms apps.  I was playing wtih animations for a couple weeks before I found your solution.  Thank You! Thank You! Thank you for posting this solution!

Comments are closed.