Silverlight Charting is faster and better than ever [Silverlight Toolkit March 09 release now available!]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of dlaa.me.

See you there!

1. Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from DotNetShoutout

2. Colin Eberhardt says:

Hi David,

Woohoo.

That pretty much sums it up from me ;-) I will download and have a play tonight.

Regards, Colin E.

3. Delay's Blog says:

In yesterday’s announcement of the March 09 release of the Silverlight Toolkit and Silverlight Charting

4. Delay's Blog says:

As I’ve said before, one of our key goals for the March 09 release of Silverlight/WPF Charting was to

5. neha20062006 says:

In charting, I am trying to stack Y axes vertically (rather then default horizontal behavior).

From my investigation, looks like it requires changing MeasureOverride and ArrangeOverride in EdgePanel class but not exactly sure what to change.

Any help/pointers would be highly appreciated.

6. Delay says:

neha20062006,

I agree that it seems that you’d need to modify EdgePanel’s layout code – but I’d also expect that you might end up needing to customize the Axis code as well because I’m not sure the default axes expect to get only partial plot area coverage. This could end up being a non-trivial amount of work, so maybe it would be easier to think about a different way to accomplish the task. Specifically, in this case, based on the little information I have, it seems like you could alternately just stack N charts on top of each other in order to achieve the same effect of stacked Y axes (this should work because stacked Y axes won’t overlap and therefore will create N distinct bands). If possible, this would be considerably easier and shouldn’t require any code changes. What do you think?

7. peter says:

I agree that it seems that you'd need to modify EdgePanel's layout code – but I'd also expect that you might end up needing to customize the Axis code as well because I'm not sure the default axes expect to get only partial plot area coverage. This could end up being a non-trivial amount of work, so maybe it would be easier to think about a different way to accomplish the task. Specifically, in this case, based on the little information I have, it seems like you could alternately just stack N charts on top of each other in order to achieve the same effect of stacked Y axes (this should work because stacked Y axes won't overlap and therefore will create N distinct bands). If possible, this would be considerably easier and shouldn't require any code changes. What do you think?

8. Mark says:

Would like to know if you can use secondary axes (stackbars on left, line percentage on right), using the SL 4.0 charting tool kit.  Example!

Thanks

9. Delay says:

Mark,

Yes. :) I maintain a collection of handy links here: http://cesso.org/r/DVLinks

One of them is the following post that touches on alternate axes: blogs.msdn.com/…/silverlight-charting-gets-a-host-of-improvements-silverlight-toolkit-december-08-release-now-available.aspx

Alternatively, have a look at one of my posts on my DataVisualizationDemos project for more runnable samples.

Hope this helps!

10. Royce says:

Hi David,

Is it possible to put a header on the top of chart area in silverlight charts just like the one shown in the image at the following link:

The header items KWh and DOLLARS are clickable controls.I am using silverlight 3 toolkit for plotting the charts.Please share some code if possible.

Regards

Royce

11. Delay says:

Royce,

Yes, this is possible. :) Just like other XAML controls, the Chart control can be re-Templated to include whatever content you'd like. I've changed the default Chart Template for a few of my samples (see http://cesso.org/r/DVLinks for many examples by myself and others), but the following post of mine may be the simplest/clearest demonstration of what I'm talking about: blogs.msdn.com/…/phone-y-charts-silverlight-wpf-data-visualization-development-release-4-and-windows-phone-7-charting-sample.aspx

I hope this helps!