Silverlight Charting gets a host of improvements [Silverlight Toolkit December 08 release now available!]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of dlaa.me.

See you there!

ChartingIntroduction.zip

1.   Накануне вышло декабрьское обновление Silverlight Toolkit – проекта на Codeplex по созданию дополнительных

2. In this issue: Michael Washington, Ruurd Boeke, Jeff Wilcox, and David Anson. From SilverlightCream.com

3. Delay's Blog says:

In yesterday’s announcement of the December 08 release of Charting for Silverlight , I outlined some

4. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

5. Delay's Blog says:

One of the goals of Charting for the Silverlight Toolkit is to enable rich, flexible styling by designers.

6. One of the goals of Charting for the Silverlight Toolkit is to enable rich, flexible styling by designers

7. Delay's Blog says:

When we created Silverlight Charting (background reading here and here ), we tried to make things as

8. It’s been a couple of months since I shared my semi-comprehensive page of Charting resources on the web

9. Delay's Blog says:

We’ve just published the March 09 release of the Silverlight Toolkit and I bet there’s something in there

10. It’s been a while since the March 09 release of the Silverlight Toolkit – and even longer since I last

11. NxGTR Sim says:

Your Engine performance chart was really useful, it didnt fit my purpose the way it is here but help alot to create mine based on yours, if you wanna watch it live in action, should visit my site at http://www.nxgtrsim.com

12. Raju Chowdhury says:

I would like to achieve a combination of Bar and Line graph such that both the graphs are plotted using Left axis as their base (X-axis) and the bottom axis as vertical axis (Y-axis). For this I have tried changing the orientation for the Line Chart but I am unable to achieve this. Could you please provide some help preferably the XAML so that both the graphs are plotted using a single axis as their base?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Raju

13. Delay says:

Raju Chowdhury,

BarSeries puts its Independent Axis on the vertical (so you can have half of what you want), but LineSeries (and ColumnSeries) puts it on the horizontal. You could create a custom version of LineSeries that swapped its orientation, but I don't think there's a way to do what you want out of the box. 🙁

Alternatively, you could combine LineSeries and ColumnSeries together and display the data you have together pretty easily – though it would not have the orientation you want.

14. Raju Chowdhury says:

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

Could you kindly provide inputs and few helpful links to achieve the same?

Regards,

Raju

15. Raju.Chowdhury says:

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

Could you kindly provide inputs and few helpful links on how to rotate the canvas/any other control?

Regards,

Raju

16. Raju.Chowdhury says:

KINDLY IGNORE THE PREVIOUS 2 POSTS!!

Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

Would it be a good idea if I use the Column and Line Series and further, rotate the chart to get the desired orientation? If so, I am thinking to put the chart control inside a canvas (or any other control you may suggest) and then rotate the canvas. Further, I need to export the canvas (containing the desired chart) for reports.

Could you kindly provide inputs and few helpful links on how to export the canvas/any other control in the similar orientation?

Regards,

Raju

17. Delay says:

Raju Chowdhury,

You could try rotating the entire Chart control – you wouldn't even need to use a Canvas (any container would do – or just apply the RenderTransform directly). But that will spin everything together and you may need to counter-rotate some things (like the Title) or even reposition them in order to get things looking "normal" again.

For capturing/printing a Chart, I wrote the following post which may be helpful: blogs.msdn.com/…/no-trees-were-harmed-in-the-making-of-this-blog-post-how-to-successfully-print-a-chart-with-the-silverlight-4-beta.aspx

Hope this helps!