Announcing a free, open source Charting solution for Silverlight [Silverlight Toolkit released today at PDC!]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of dlaa.me.

See you there!

ChartingIntroduction.zip

1. New Silverlight Charting control was announced today at PDC! It is part of the Silverlight Toolkit availabale

2. In this issue: Jesse Liberty, Michael Sync, Shawn Burke, David Anson, Andy Beaulieu, Dan Wahlin, Laurent

3. Delay's Blog says:

Yesterday in my Introduction to Charting with the Silverlight Toolkit post, I included a teaser for my

4. baggiojing says:

BarSeries

Representsacontrolthatcontainsadataseriestoberenderedinbarformat. Col…

5. First, let me remind you that in my new ongoing quest to read source code to be a better developer ,

6. ASPInsiders says:

7. Delay's Blog says:

It’s been nearly two weeks since the Silverlight Toolkit’s November release . I’ve been trying to keep

8. Delay's Blog says:

The December 08 release of the Silverlight Toolkit was published a short while ago. Just about every

9. #.think.in says:

#.think.in infoDose #12 (15th Dec – 19th Dec)

10. Delay's Blog says:

One of the goals of Charting for the Silverlight Toolkit is to enable rich, flexible styling by designers.

11. One of the goals of Charting for the Silverlight Toolkit is to enable rich, flexible styling by designers

12. Delay's Blog says:

When we created Silverlight Charting (background reading here and here ), we tried to make things as

13. Delay's Blog says:

It’s been a couple of months since I shared my semi-comprehensive page of Charting resources on the web

14. En el blog de Felix Wang , he encontrado este artículo donde se agrupan una colección de

15. Delay's Blog says:

We’ve just published the March 09 release of the Silverlight Toolkit and I bet there’s something in there

16. aviationplanning says:

Would I be correct in thinking these are NOT based on the Dundas IP?  If I’m wrong and they are, do you have plans to add the Gauge control to the toolkit?

17. David Anson says:

aviationplanning,

You’re correct that Silverlight Charting is not based directly on the Dundas implementation. However, we were in *very* close contact with some of the Dundas folks who are now at Microsoft during the initial design phase and had numerous discussions about how they did things and why. At the end of the day, we’re targeting different platforms and those platforms support some very different concepts (ex: Templating) – so there are differences in how we’ve gone about things.

Hope this helps!

18. It’s been a while since the March 09 release of the Silverlight Toolkit – and even longer since I last

19. Aji Issac says:

Is there a way we can use Fusion chart type of animation in it? http://www.fusioncharts.com/aspnet (making the graphs look better, what I like the most if the simplicity it offers for developers)

20. David Anson says:

Aji,

I'm not sure if there were specific aspects of the animation you were interested in, but the Toolkit charts already animate to show changes to the underlying data. I mention some of that above, and you can find lots more in my collection of Charting links: http://cesso.org/r/DVLinks

Regarding some of the animations they do that are just for show, that's not something we've spent a lot of time on. There is native support for the fade in/fade out animation (which can do more than just fade!), but that's it for "out of the box" behavior. Of course, everything is a Control in the Toolkit charting model, so it's always possible to re-Template and customize the behavior to your liking.

Hope this helps!