Something fun for the little ones [SilverlightKidsDoodler develops mouse skills!]

This blog has moved to a new location and comments have been disabled.

All old posts, new posts, and comments can be found on The blog of dlaa.me.

See you there!

SilverlightKidsDoodler.png

1. WynApse says:

Silverlight Cream for October 16, 2007

2. Here is the latest in my link-listing series . Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page

3. Here is the latest in my link-listing series . Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page

4. ASP.NET says:

5. Here is the latest in my link-listing series . Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page

6. BigTundra says:

Couple of questions why did you use just a plain canvas instead of the inkpresenter element.  Or at least I don’t see where you have used it yet.  Also since you can do all the drawing on a canvas, what functionality does the inkpresenter give you that you can’t get with a plane canvas.  Lastly, is there a way to save the image…that would be cool.

Thanks!

7. Delay says:

BigTundra,

I went with Canvas vs. InkPresenter because my needs were very simple and I already had experience with Canvas. I’ve heard that InkPresenter is also very easy to use, so I probably could have used it without much difference. In general, it’s my understanding that ink-supporting controls typically have more "fidelity" than normal ones because the ink ones are often used for handwriting recognition. For example, ink may sample input at a higher rate, respond to input pressure, or detect common gestures. All cool things, of course, but none of which were directly relevant to my application. 🙂

Regarding the desire to save the image, I considered it, but Silverlight’s security model doesn’t allow you to write to arbitrary files on disk, so it wasn’t immediately clear where to save the image. (There’s IsolatedStorage, but that wouldn’t give me an image file I could copy around and view in Windows.) For now, the preferred method of saving the image is: Print Screen, open "real" Paint, Paste, Save. 🙂

8. The link above appears to be no good.  It takes me to a Silverlight Alpha download page.  Is there a more recent link?

9. Delay says:

EvanBasalik,

The link works fine for me. The app requires Silverlight 1.1 Alpha, so if it’s not already installed on your machine, then it’s correct to be pointed to the install location.

Hope this helps!

10. (以下内容全部整理自博客堂Scottgu博客中文版)Silverlight技巧,诀窍,教程和链接 【原文地址】SilverlightTips,Tricks,…

11. windrago says:

Do you have an updated version?

12. Delay says:

windrago,

No, sorry, I haven’t updated this sample for SL2 or SL3. If you’re just looking for some of the same concepts (and not specifically the child-friendly approach I took), you might check out this link instead: http://www.silverlightbuzz.com/2009/03/15/building-a-paint-application-in-silverlight-using-the-line-element/

Hope this helps!

13. tanvi says:

Hi,

Article is nice.My requirement is alo same but i put some images like cirle,rectangle beside inkpresenter,when i click/drag cirle that circle will be placed on inkpresenter.i wan the application like microsoft paint apllication

please help me.

14. Delay says:

tanvi,

You'd need to write a bit of code to add that kind of behavior to my simple sample. The good news is that it's not too difficult and would be a great way to become more familiar with Silverlight! 🙂 You'll probably want to handle the MouseLeftButtonDown/Up/Move events for mouse tracking and use the Rectangle/Ellipse Shape classes for drawing the actual shapes. Once you've got that, adding brush thickness should be pretty easy, too!

Comments are closed.