Moments ago, we released RIA Services V1.0 SP1 Beta along with WCF RIA Services October toolkit. You can download it from http://silverlight.net/riaservices.
- Uninstall WCF RIA Services Toolkit (if installed)
- Uninstall WCF RIA Services V1.0 for Visual Studio 2010
- Install WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1 Beta
- Install WCF RIA Services Toolkit October 2010
These set of bits are compatible with Silverlight 4 and Visual Studio 2010 and are now available for you to download.
About the download
This download is contains all the assemblies and is a standalone msi. You do not need to have V1.0 installed in your box and it is completely an in-place update. Just follow the steps above and you should be good to go. Also, this is a Go-Live release.
What’s new in the WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP1 Beta release?
Shared Entities across multiple DomainServices
With the latest bits we have dropped the restriction that blocked multiple DomainServices from exposing the same Entity.
Support for Complex Objects
WCF RIA now supports structural non-entity types.
Client code generation extensibility
WCF RIA Services now allows the client proxy generator to be replaced, either with a text template or with a plain CLR Type that implements IDomainServiceClientCodeGenerator like this:
A code generator is registered merely by adding to a server project a reference to its assembly, or by declaring the code generator class directly in the server project. MEF is used to recognize the [DomainServiceClientCodeGenerator] attribute among the server’s references. We have also released a TextTemplatingCodeGeneration in the Toolkit that can be used to customize the generated code. Note: the code generator is build on top of this extensibility.
Better Binding support for EntitySet and EntityCollection
EntitySet and EntityCollection now implements ICollectionViewFactory and returns a view when bound to controls likes DataForm and DataGrid. Now you will be able to Add/Remove via a Dataform when it’s bound to a EntitySet and EntityCollection.
Improved Business Application Template
· The Login and Registration windows open with focus in the Name field
· Both windows also listen for the Enter and Escape keys, submitting or canceling accordingly
· The Windows authentication status control shows an ‘authenticating…’ message
· And more
Also check out Kyle’s blog for a customized look of the BAT. This theme is going to be made available only via the Visual Studio Gallery.
The product, assemblies and templates is now localized into 10 languages. These languages are :-
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
Hate the time-consuming installer, we heard you. Our installer is now less than a couple of minutes on most machines.
What’s new in the WCF RIA Services Toolkit October 2010 ?
With this release of the SP1 beta, we are also releasing a compatible version of the toolkit. The May2010 toolkit will still be available for you to use with V1.0 May release. Note, the October 2010 release will only work with the V1.0 SP1 Beta.
Here are the new additions:-
<Shamelessly taken from Tomek’s Blog">
- Domain Service support for Windows Azure Table Storage. When hosting WCF RIA Services in Windows Azure, you can now easily leverage Windows Azure Table Storage as your data backend. Read more at Kyle McClellan’s blog.
- T4 template based client code generation. The feature leverages the code generation extensibility point added to the product and provides a well factored and granular mechanism to customize client code generation logic using T4 templates.
</Shamelessly taken from Tomek’s Blog">
We would love to hear your feedback so be sure to get back to us via forums, twitter etc.