This blog article is about an old tool that never got a kb article (for some reason), but now has its own space here.
A few years ago, back in 2004, I was creating a tool for SQL Server 2000 and 7.0 to help me analyze blocking scenarios. It was my first C# application.
After a while, I invited my friend Kevin Tsai to become my partner on Sherlock as he had great ideas for the tool, and he’s a SQL Server specialist, here at Microsoft. Then I put all of his SQL Server knowledge about blocking analysis into the tool.
With this tool the engineers, including Kevin and I, dramatically reduced the necessary time to analyze the output from the blocker script and isolate blocking problems.
Sometimes we needed to use it when working at customer’s site. After seeing how the program worked our customers started asking for the tool. So, a year after that we decided to deliver the tool for public use.
Sherlock comes with a PPT that explains about blocking and about the tool. It also comes with the blocker script for SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7.
My friend Fabricio Catae, a SQL Server Ranger here at Microsoft, was our official Sherlock Beta tester during Sherlock development. Now he is working on Sherlock Pro. I’m sure, from what I’ve seen, Sherlock Pro will cannibalize Sherlock. J
The current Sherlock version is not compatible with SQL Server 2005, but Sherlock Pro will be.
Here are some screenshots: