Hello, my name is Dean Rowe. I’m a dev lead over here in the Windows Movie Maker team. You may have seen me hanging around on the microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker forum. We’ve just released Windows Movie Maker 2.1 in Windows XP SP2 and are currently working on the next version.

I’m originally from England but have now settled down up here in the NorthWest in the USA. Outside of work, my wife and I have a two year old son who keeps us rather busy.

If there’s anything specific you’d like to see me talk about, shoot me an email or post a comment and I’ll see what I can do.

1. Invader Zim says:

Will Windows Movie Maker 2.1 only be obtainable with Windows XP Service Pack 2 or in the future released separately for those who have v2.0 ?

2. Dean Rowe says:

Windows Movie Maker 2.1 is part of Windows XP Service Pack 2 and will not be available separately. However there are some many great features in SP2 I don’t think anyone should be without it.

3. David says:

I use a panasonic vdrm30 (minidv) camcorder, will Moviemaker 2.1 support usb capture from this camcorder?

4. Andrew says:

Hi Dean,

I’m just new to video editing and started using MM2 recently. I’m thinking of upgrading to a Panasonic GS-400 which has "movie mode" that records in 25 frames per second instead of a standard 50-60 fps in video mode. My question is, can MM2 read that different format of 25fps? It records it on DV tape just like video mode but i thought I’d ask before i go out and buy it!

5. Dean Rowe says:

Hi Andrew.

From your description it sounds the camera has a mode where it shoots the frames as progressive instead of interlaced. In fact a number of cameras have these modes and they work fine in MovieMaker. It sounds like a nice camera.

6. Dean Rowe says:

Hi David, I don’t believe we’ve tried that particular camera, but hopefully it should work through USB. If you do have problems let me know and we’ll try to look into it.