Autogeneration of a WPF data grid fails


Brushing off my coding skills & got stuck for a bit on a failure to autogenerate a Data Grid’s columns. I got plenty of rows, but no columns. The secret is to ensure that your base object has publicly available members. Don’t get lazy and just expose properties.

In my example, I used a List<AppOrderingItem> as my data source. Autogeneration failed when an AppOrderingItem was

   1:  class AppOrderingItem 
   2:  { 
   3:      public string appName;
   4:   
   5:      public int numUsers; 
   6:  }
   7:   

but works great with

   1:  class AppOrderingItem 
   2:  { 
   3:      public string appName {get;set;} 
   4:      public int numUsers { get; set; }
   5:   
   6:  } 
   7:   

 

Makes sense, and a great way to punish my laziness. 🙂


Comments (0)

Skip to main content