There are many tools and strategies for data backup in Windows and SQL Azure. This post is to outline a few that exist today. Its also worth noting that recently added to the SQL Azure portal was an Import Export feature .
In terms of approaches the following are good SQL Azure tools to consider:
- Quest Spotlight for SQL Azure
- Enzo Backup for SQL Azure
- Redgate – SQL Azure Backup Tool
And more manual SQL Azure techniques including:
- Backing Up Your SQL Azure Database Using Database Copy
- SQL Azure Data Sync
- BCP and SQL Azure
- Exporting Data from SQL Azure: Import/Export Wizard
- Cerebrata Azure Cmmandlets
For Azure Storage there are various tools (outlined for example this Matrix view). I’d have a look at the following:
- Cloud Storage Studio
- Azure Storage Explorer
- CloudBerry (and specifically CloudBerry Backup for Windows Azure Blob Storage)
Note: Windows Azure Storage is triple copied within the target DataCenter and now has geo-replication by default.
Alternatively you could even write your own backup application and/or Map Windows Azure Blob Storage As Network Drive in Windows
Finally there are Microsoft partners such as StorSimple who provide Azure storage software solutions and an on premises storage appliance.