We felt this was a great way of providing free storage (for 30 days) to those worried about losing important data for their business. I only helped in a small way by documenting the steps to backup from scratch.
You can get hold of this document and the full instructions by looking at Catherine's blog post. If you have a business in this situation or want to help a business and you can more details
1) emailing BNEFlood@Live.com with the names of the organizations you're looking to assist.
2) We will then send to you step by step backup & upload instructions
Thanks to Catherine, Larry Gregory and Jorke Odolphi for setting up this system. Jorke is incidentally home bound, due to the floods, but drafted up an application that you can script to upload to Windows Azure Storage.
This would have been his view parking his car - the day before the peak.
Technical Resources (please, this is for information only and I would urge you to use the email alias and the documentation we provide)
- Step 1: Create your backup. Tool: Disk to VHD tool (SysInternals) / Creating and mounting VHD drives (W7/Ws2008)
- Step 2: Use your Windows Pass (emailing BNEFlood@Live.com ) to create Windows Azure storage
- Step 3: Upload your image to your Windows Azure Storage using Backup tool or Azure Storage Explorer