Yes SQL 2008 R2 has reached a major milestone, on the 21st Apr 2010 the news went to the world SQL2008 R2 has gone “Release To Manufacturing (RTM)”. This means that the Development Team (& many others) have signed it off as complete. It then takes a few days / weeks to get it into the schedules of the manufacturing plants to start pressing the DVD’s.
While you are waiting for it to be available for download via MSDN or delivered to you on a DVD fulfilment. Check out The SQL Server R2 Digital Tour
What will you find there? Links to a whole host of resources, including
- The SQL 2008/R2 Resource Kit
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Update for Developers Training Kit
- a Small eBook listing all the new features, so I will not repeat it here.
- Webcasts (inc the following)
- An Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Overview
- Introduction to SQL Azure
- Lower Costs through BI Consolidation
- Migrating from Oracle to SQL Server
- SSRS and Report Builder 3.0
- PowerPivot for Excel and SharePoint
- Master Data Services
- Business Continuity with SQL Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Live Migration
- Application and Multi-Server Management
- Parallel Data Warehouse
Develop Rich Reporting Solutions
- StreamInsight Complex Event Processing
- SQL Server 2008 R2 and BizTalk Server
Don’t forget to check out the new SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for Excel. The BI capabilities for End Users are truly ground-breaking, & like Microsoft Office 2010 it is also ready to go now.
PS: In case you are still have spare time, check out the Visual Studio 2010 it is really nice. Don’t overlook the features for testing your database.