OneNote 2010 will be available in more places and more ways

Last year at the PDC we gave you a very small taste of what’s in store in the next version of OneNote. With OneNote 2010, you will get full web access to your OneNote notebooks and enhanced sharing capabilities that will make it the easiest way to capture all your information and have it easily available to you everywhere. It will also be awesome for teams sharing information, ideas, plans, coordinating projects and so on. We have many other exciting features coming up in this release that we’re not able to disclose yet but we think you’ll like it a lot.

We’re also making it easier for our business customers to get OneNote. OneNote 2010 will now also be available as part of the Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 release.  Office Professional Plus is targeted to business users and is only available through Volume Licensing.  We’re not announcing any details about other SKUs yet. Overall we’ve seen a lot of interest in OneNote and we’re trying to make sure customers will be able to get it easily whether you use Office at home or at work.

I look forward to being able to share more details with you about the new features in OneNote 2010 in future posts.

1. fleon says:

That is excellent news.  As a consultant and lawyer, I use Onenote in my business everyday, and so do my staff.  It’s great news that Microsoft will start considering this to be a business level application.

Now, how do I get my hands on the tech preview?

2. fascinationdesign says:

Perfect!!!! I REALLY look forward to seeing these improvements in OneNote. It sounds like exactly what I’ve been trying to figure out how to do (have access to OneNote on my mac and hopefully an iphone – although I have yet to purchase said iphone.)

Volume licensing however is a HUGE deterrent for small businesses and I think it will keep OneNote from being used by a larger percentage of business operations. Microsoft products limited to only volume licensing miss out on getting implemented as part of the workflow of small businesses that grow into larger businesses. I really do hope that it gets released under other licensing terms.

3. DavidRas says:

OneNote will definitely be available in other ways appropriate for those for whom Volume Licensing is not appropriate. I did not mean to imply that was the only way it will be available. It will certainly be available in a variety of other ways. We just wanted to let people know that the Professional Plus 2010 Volume License is one of the additional places you’ll be able to get it. I don’t have more complete details I’m able to share at this point, but hopefully that clarifies a little.

I’m glad you’re looking forward to OneNote 2010. So are we!

4. DavidRas says:

I’m glad you’re looking forward to OneNote 2010. So are we!

5. DavidRas says:

Fleon,

You can sign up here for access to the Tech Preview but I know numbers are limited and there’s a selection / drawing process….

6. DavidRas says:

Fleon,

7. brienmuller says:

Looking forward to Office 2010 especially seeing the web component. Our academic volume license now covers OneNote in Office Enterprise so I hope that continues. Unfortunately, our institution doesn’t make effective use of OneNote, yet. Thanks for the update.

8. spartacus says:

David, can you tell me if OneNote 2007 has any online capabilities at all? In other words, can I sync my desktop OneNote notebooks to an online application so I can access it anytime on the web?

9. tunghoy says:

I can do w/o all the newfangled bells and whistles, as long as basic, simple things work:

1) When I copy from Word or other applications, then paste into OneNote, graphics should come with the text. I shouldn’t have to struggle to get them and have to copy and paste them separately.

2) The pasted text should recognize white space, even if it’s from HTML paragraphs or line breaks. I shouldn’t have to crawl through a big block of text I just pasted, inserting blank lines to make the text readable.

3) Two words: Format Painter.

10. itsbjr says:

I downloaded OneNote about 30 days ago to try the free trial (not the 2010 beta).  Now my trial is expiring and I don't want to buy it if the 2010 version is about to come out.  I would rather get the 2010 version vs. having to pay an upgrade later.  What is the best way for me to proceed.  Can I download the beta for now and then buy it when the 2010 is released?