More Feedback – Media Center Rollup 2

With any product launch there are issues – and Rollup 2 is no different.

The biggest issue for the Media Center team is that we have a lot more customers with a lot of different configurations (new countries, XBOX 360s, home built machines, etc) and there are always new problems that come with this.

One of the things that makes a good project manager or program manager is the ability to step in to any problem and help solve the issue. Over the last year I’ve owned entire projects (Rollup 2) or strategies (Media Center Vista 64bit) or simply just getting some grunt work done. It is both a blessing and a curse in that I get exposed to a lot of things but I also end up having to work harder to keep a handle on the work at hand.

Thus I’m helping out on sustained engineering – mostly focused on capacity planning and process refinement. We work really hard to respond to our customer’s needs. People joke about the number of patches that Microsoft puts out, and to tell you the truth I’ve certainly made my own comments. However this is also our way of showing that we are listening and responding to feedback about major product bugs.

We are also using blogs to help with work. If you haven’t already, check out Aaron Stebner’s blog. He is really stepping up and helping customers on a daily basis – and making a true impact.

In the case of this post I’d like to know if you’re having major problems with Rollup 2.

Let me be clear that I’m interested in something that was working before install if Rollup 2 that isn’t now. I’m not looking for features you were hoping to see, or something that was broken before the install of Rollup 2 (we’ll deal with that another time).

Oh one other thing before I go. How would you like to give feedback to Microsoft? We’ve been having this discussion a lot at work – and I want to know. Do you like blogs? Newsgroups? Surveys? Something else? Please let me know as I’m very interested in how you’d like to communicate with us.

I’ll be looking in the comments and thanks for your feedback and I’ll have another project management post very soon.

1. Jeppe Ravn says:

I think it is a very good idea to have blogs where the users can give you feedback. It is much more "personal" compared to a newsgroup. I strongly believe that we all want these errors to be fixed so we can "sell" the solution to our friends and make this even better.

2. Tim says:

Re: feedback – blogs are good for general feedback/discussion, but I really would like an ‘offical’ way of reporting bugs in, e.g. MCE.

Matt Goyer has said if you email him with a bug he’ll try to get it put in the system, but with all thanks and respect to Matt, this system does not seem scalable to me :-)

As for Rollup 2, the main thing I have noticed is with guide data. Before Rollup 2, I had periodic errors like:

"The recording cannot be scheduled because Media Center is unable to access information in the Guide. Please restart the computer and then schedule the recording again."

Apart from this being really annoying (it happened every few days), I hoped it would be fixed in Rollup 2 – no such luck.

But what has got worse is problems with downloading guide data. Since installing Rollup 2, every couple of days I’ll get pop-up from MCE saying there was a problem downloading guide data. Error 23, error 13, you don’t have an internet connection, etc etc.

I understand there was a problem with the guide server for a day or so recently, but the internet connection complaint was weird. I RDP’d into the machine and browsed to a number of websites just fine, so I’m not sure what the problem was. Maybe the guide site was down. (If I was MS, I’d have a fleet of boxes called ping.microsoft.com, whose sole responsibility was to see if you could get to MS’s network over the internet. That way when, e.g. the EPG servers go down, the user doesn’t get told that their internet connection doesn’t work – I’m assuming this was the cause, of course).

Errors with not being able to download guide data often persist even after a reboot. But then later it will work – e.g. I noticed the listings for the new UK channel ITV4 suddenly appeared on my guide (later in the same day when MCE said it couldn’t download the guide).

And I’ll just use this occasion to repeat my belief here that *the* priority for MCE is to reliably record TV programmes (including actually getting the padding right). Maybe one day it will :-). Everything else is secondary.

Actually, while we’re on the feedback trail, I thought the ‘Optimisation’ option in Rollup 2 was pretty weak. Having a built-in UI to restart the shell every night seems like an admission that you can’t write stable software. Or have I misunderstood? (My Tivo used to run for months without needing to reboot.)

I agree with the comment about ‘selling’ MCE to friends etc. At the moment, for tech friends I’ll tell them it works, but with quite a few irritating bugs/problems. (A friend just got an MCE, and in the *first day*, he got the ‘can’t schedule recording – please reboot’ error.)

The number of times I need to use the keyboard on my MCE is depressing. As for recommending an MCE for my parents/non-tech friends? Forget it. Not in its current state.

I’d rather I could recommend it though.

3. MSDNArchive says:

Thanks for the quick comments. We are actively looking into the guide issues and I hope we find the cause very soon. We’re not really understanding why only a few customers are seeing it, etc.

Optimization was weak – totally admit that. The idea, good or not, was to refresh the memory on the machine. The original implementation was much larger in scope and was reduced becuase of user scenarios, etc. There are some system level binaries we depend upon that weren’t necessarily designed to run 24/7.

I’m told (not verified by me) that TIVO actually does a service restart in the middle of the night.

Either way I didn’t really like the feature myself and I think we could have done better.

I will say that the XBOX 360 implementation is going to be great. Very stable, very usable and it free you from needing a PC in your living room for high fidelity playback. I can’t tell you how cool I think this will be for our customers and as people discover how well it works they’ll be very happy.

Overall the priority for MCE is stability in all aspects. We’re working on making that so – the whole company is hyper focused on Vista right now – the goal of which is to make Vista the most stable platform, ever. I really hope we can do it…

4. Steve Collins says:

>>I’d like to know if you’re having major problems with Rollup 2.

I’m in Ireland and I have had to discontinue

use of Rollup2 untill it’s fixed. (and so forgo the use of the local TV guide)

There is a very definite problem with using two

tuners at the same time on Rollup2. I’ve communicated the relevant info to Peter Rosser

and he has acknowledged the problem (see link

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=41&MessageID=138854 ) and says he’s working on it. I’ve also proven that the problem with the PTS is not just with tuner cards with conexant chipsets and have reported that to Peter’s Blog. Unfortuneatly

it seems that reporting bugs to Microsoft is like dumping info into a big black hole and all you can do is wait for an update to arrive one day. I can’t understand how there is no formal bug reporting process (if there is please let me know how to access it) . relying

on public forums like TGB is hit and miss as to when a relevant MS body might dip in. Blogs

are more targetable but what’s needed is a proper web enabled feedback system that uses a wizzard for the datacollection (so you get everything needed to reproduce etc) and something that lets people know status back.

I realise what’s involved in scheduling fixes into updates etc (I’ve been Eng. Mgr and Test Mgr. in previous careers) so can appreciate that telling everyone exactly when they can expect a fix is difficult. But there needs to be a formal method of getting at least some info back to the person who raised the issue

(such as yes we know about it, yes we will fix it, now we have fixed it etc..) the current ad-hoc

approach to bug reporting is doing Microsoft no

favours. Even a cursory glance around and MCE

forum will show there is a lot of frustration

with RU2 amoungst even die hard users. Some of this could be aleviated by a formal bug reporting system , and the real issues could get captured without the need to filter out the noise …

Steve

5. Thomas Hawk says:

Blogs are super helpful.

The best online community at present that would also work well is The Green Button. The problem though is that at present TGB’s RSS feeds are broken and the site is horribly, horribly slow.

You guys should offer to step in and help them with their server and software issue and their broken RSS feeds.

If TGB worked better (faster) and had RSS feeds I’d use it a lot more than I do now. I simply will not use anything that is not RSS based anymore. I don’t have the time.

Including RSS access to whatever communication structure you use is mandatory.

Most MSFT discussion boards suck. It is too easy to lose threads and they are not as intuitive as they should be. These could be an alternative if they actually worked more like the green button.

Your open comments are a great resource. It would be nice to be able to subscribe via RSS to your comment threads. It would encourage me to go through and read them and interact more.

6. alijah says:

i think that the product it self should have a feed back button to send information where needed also think about what you need to help your reaction to the feedback.

7. This isn’t a major bug but I would like to get the functionality back before Vista is done. In the TV guide there is the option, when the Guide button on the remote is pressed twice, to filter by category (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/using/guide/tvguide.mspx#Filter). Since UR2 it just flashes and disapears. My thought was maybe this was due to the video driver but I’ve got the latest from nvidia.

8. Stuart Anderton says:

I have the exact same issues as Tim. I don’t see them mentioned much by people outside the UK – a clue perhaps?

(TiVo doesn’t restart istelf in the middle of the night, unless there has been a software update.)

9. Stuart Anderton says:

10. Tim says:

Sorry, this isn’t really a Rollup 2 thing – or maybe it is, I don’t know…but I thought you might recognise the issue.

Anyway, I just reinstalled the OS on my desktop machine, because [a] it damn well needed it, and [b] I want to do some MCE dev, but don’t want to use my actual PVR as the dev machine (for hopefully obvious reasons), so I installed MCE on my main desktop machine (previously it had XP Pro).

Now, I went through my usual install-dance, one feature of which is switching XP themes to the ‘Classic Windows’ look (I have aesthetic problems with the FisherPrice^WLuna look and feel).

But whenever I reboot, XP seems to think I really wanted Luna after all. Or some weird variation of it – the title bars are smaller than the normal Luna look (and hence the minimise/maximise etc buttons).

Is this some weird problem specific to me, or did the MCE devs just say "Well, we don’t care what desktop theme you want – you can just go hang!"..?

It was a fresh install of MCE, formatting system partition etc., not an upgrade, btw.

(And I agree with Stuart – I’m pretty sure Tivo only resets at 2am if there’s been a new software download. Although I guess maybe they do a soft restart of some services, but I’ve not heard of that before. But if Stuart hasn’t heard of it, I’d bet it doesn’t happen :-)

11. MSDNArchive says:

Okay…

Tim – never heard of this issue. I mean we like our theme and all, but we’re not into forcing you to like it. I know the guy who did the themes for XP. Let me ping him and see if he knows what might be going on.

We are also looking into the guide problems. That is really true. I’ll give an update as soon as we have one.

On the feedback issues. I really hear everyone and I’m looking into what we can do about the problem. There are a few initiatives around the company. I’d love to be able to tell everyone I’m on the road to solving this problem – but I’m not quite there yet. It is up on my list and is very important to me.

12. Shawn Oster says:

Blogs are great for targeted off-the-cuff feedback but what would be great is way to get feedback on the feedback. Forums/newsgroups I believe are the way to go on this one because no one wants to see a 90+ comment thread on 10 different topics off one blog posting.

I don’t care about not having an RSS feed since I feel RSS is worthless for actual two-way discussions, where I can be notified when my comment has been commented on.

If you do use a "MCE Feedback Blog" then make sure to address the comments made in a new article, wading through a flat list of comments to see if you have maybe been responded to is a time sucker. Also offer a way for people to suggest new topics.

13. Mrl72 says:

The biggest thing I’ve noticed with Rollup 2 is the instability with the ATI HDTV Wonder card. Now I don’t know for sure whether the ATI card or MCE is at fault here, only that I can tell you I get more crashes and lockups with Rollup 2 than I did with the MCE earlier release.

On the same note, I (and probably many others) were suprised to see no new support for the HDTV line of cards out there. I mean, here we are in the digital age with all retailers *pushing* sales of HDTV, yet with less HDTV cards on the market than I can count on my left hand I’m suprised why the poor support? Why didn’t a fix for dual tuners appear in Rollup 2 for example? The fact that I have to use cracked drivers to get around this issues amazes me. Why hasn’t the issue with buffering live TV and preventing S3 standby been fixed? Why is something as simple as hitting the STOP button on my remote not stopping the buffering of Live TV?

Also, another thing I noticed since Rollup2 is more background activity that prevents S3 from working properly. Ok, it does work from time to time, but occasionaly MCE will keep my system so active it prevents standby. To test this out, I rebooted my machine until I got the MCE main screen up then minimized it and ran a disk monitoring activity. What I’ve listed below is some MCE process that seems to be keeping my disk above the 10% activity (10% being the maximum activity in order for S3 to work – that is, according to Microsoft).

From the log (these processes were detected upto 100 times a minute):

ehRec.exe:3484 QUERY INFORMATION E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBE

ehRec.exe:3484 OPEN E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBE

ehRec.exe:3484 DIRECTORY E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBE

ehRec.exe:3484 DIRECTORY E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBE

ehRec.exe:3484 DIRECTORY E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBE

ehRec.exe:3484 CLOSE E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBE

ehRec.exe:3484 QUERY INFORMATION E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBESBE1.tmp

ehRec.exe:3484 QUERY INFORMATION E:Recorded TVTempRecTempSBESBE2.tmp

ehRec.exe:3484 OPEN E:Recorded TV

ehRec.exe:3484 QUERY INFORMATION E:Recorded TV

ehRec.exe:3484 CLOSE E:Recorded TV

Sorry for the moan, but I was just expecting a lot more. Thanks.

14. Emmanuel leroux Sanders says:

Hey, just wnated to let you know that’s I have resently started reading your blog.

I’m very glad that you are takig the time to take our feedback and such. :-)

Keep up the good work with MCE. :-)

Emmanuel Leroux Sanders

Montreal, Canada

15. xboxdude says:

David – is there a plan to upgrade the xbox 360 MCE interface with the newly designed Vista interface next year? Will this be possible?

16. MSDNArchive says:

Thanks for the nice comments.

A few follow-ups.

On the themes issues – the dev who wrote that feature doesn’t know about the problem He asked if you had window blinds or anything else installed.

I get your feedback on DTV. I don’t like our solution a whole lot myself. I can’t even get a signal where I live and so I can’t show the true beauty of my screen. I’m looking to Vista to fix this.

On the XBOX 360 question. Nothing has been announced on future support – but I could not imagine a world where we didn’t take care of you.

17. Mark Simmons says:

Hi very interesting blog.

Haven’t really got any issues with Roll-up2 after visiting Aarons blog, this is more to do with the feedback/help element. Whilst I don’t consider myself ‘IT’ illiterate I do find it annoying and time consuming to have search the internet, wade through different forums and blogs before I find a solution. Reading through the various blogs of the MCE team I can’t fault your enthusiasm, helpfulness and dedication but it’s all delivered in a very haphazard way. The only reason I found this blog was because I’m off at the moment looking after my son so have a bit of extra time and decided to click on a link from Aarons blog.

The blog format is good, far better then the forum format, but a nice combined website sectioned off for each of you to make your posts would serve the more basic users such as myself, much better. And getting info from the ‘horses’ mouth’ is priceless as far as I’m concerned.

On another issue and as already mentioned the guide for the UK really needs to be sorted out. I understand the difficulties involved with the different formats/regions within the UK but it’s probably my number one issue. For me not so much faults as described in the other posts but the lack of updates, missing channels, missing or incorrect program information. The guide feedback just doesn’t seem to work, although I found out recently it wont unless it’s done from an MCE machine! I don’t know how it’s compiled and sent out but maybe it could be done by volunteers within the community who have a vested interest in getting it right, to be honest it couldn’t get worse.

Sorry to go on,

Mark

18. Pat says:

I had serious DRM issues after install Rollup 2. Specifically, I was unable to watch HBO at all. I read several blogs that had suggestions as to how to fix it. I tried everything but nothing worked. In the end I deleted the DRM folder’s contents and reinstalled Media Player 10. I’m now able to watch HBO.

Beyond that, the only real issue I’m seeing is some sort of lag when changing zoom options with the remote. Seems like it just isn’t as responsive as before?

19. Paul Sutherby says:

I know this has been requested to death but the only feature that is missing as far as I can see is xvid/divx support in the xbox 360 MCE extender.

I would upgrade my whole home setup to get this – the ability to record tv, stream tv, video and music to multiple rooms in the house.

Excellent product and looking forward to the 360 interface and functionality, but if we can add codecs to the PC system to get xvid movies to play why cant the xbox also be upgraded to provide standard support?

just my thoughts tho – again I know alot of friends who share the views tho.

Paul

20. MSDNArchive says:

For anyone who is having an issue with DRM. We’ve been looking closely at a fix and have a few things in the pipeline that we’re testing. Wish I could give an ETA – but I don’t have one yet.

We know what causes a lot of the issues and will have a fix that will prevent the situation coming out soon.

UK guide is also on our list. Wish I could give more details but I don’t have them yet.

I hear everyone on the DIVX thing. I’ve sent that feedback along. Maybe I should rename my blog, "Yes I know you want DIVX for your XBOX 360." :)

21. Ian says:

My problem with rollup 2 is that it breaks the hack to get subchannel data for OTA HDTV stations by choosing a digital cable listing that includes the channel and then telling MCE to use that guide data for the OTA channel. This prevents me from recording any HDTV PBS stations and is a total deal breaker for me, requiring me to keep my MCE box pre-RU2 until it is fixed.

22. Emmanuel leroux Sanders says:

I am very happy to see the new "Zoom" feature that uses almost the whole 4:3 image to fill a 16:9 screen.

This isin’t really a bug like you asked to hear about, but would it be posible to make this feature (and the other zooms) workk properly to zoom a 2.33 (I think it is) to a 16:9 image (1.77) image. Most DVD’s seem to be in this format, and it would be nice to zoom them properly (just cut off the sides, and not the sides and the top.

Thanks :-)

23. gordon Coale says:

Really would like an update on the s3 standby/buffering issue as mentioned above. This is a major pain. It effectibely means my MCE machine runs 24/7 at full power.

24. Mrl72 says:

David – I think I’ve found a problem with streaming mpeg2 content to the Xbox 360. It freezes 1/2 way through every file that is larger than 2gb.

Any ideas?

25. MSDNArchive says:

Can you give me more details on the mpeg2 content? I’d need to know more about the file, bitrate, etc.

I’ll forward on what you give me. Hope you like it otherwise.

26. George Handlin says:

Don’t know if this is related to rollup2 or if along the same lines as the post from Mrl72, but I’ve been getting ocassional freezes on my xbox1 extender. The last freeze came after a little over an hour of watching a couple recorded tv shows. This is wired connection and I never saw the network congestion prompt come up, so I don’t think it’s the network. Have to restart the xbox to get it going again.

27. mrl72 says:

David, I am using a maximum bit rate of 9800. What is the maximum bit rate for streaming mpeg2 to the 360? Is it that I’ve set the rate too high?

This is from home video, captured in DV, one AC3 track, compressed output as mpeg2/CBR=9800/Ac3.

28. Tim says:

Re: my themes problem on MCE – sorry for not replying sooner, but anyway, it just ‘went away’. No idea why. I didn’t have Windowblinds installed or anything (I tend to prefer to keep my desktop GUI as standard as possible, so I don’t use stuff like that). I encountered the issue on a fairly clean install, as I said. Oh well, chalk it up to experience. It went away fairly soon – I don’t think I’d been installing a load of software or anything- I was still doing some basic config, iirc.

On the guide problem front, I’ve finally cracked and configured my MCE to reboot at 5.30am every day – after the third instance of MCE failing to record an evening of TV :-(. It’s very odd – the programmes are in the ‘Scheduled’ list, and it says "This programme will be recorded", only the trouble is, the programme was on 2 hours ago, and it still hasn’t noticed. If you try to record something that is currently on in this state, it says it will be recorded, but doesn’t actually record it.

Anyway, very odd, and very annoying. Oh, and the event log is jam-packed full of errors from the Guide and Scheduler saying that the guide database cannot be accessed/opened. The only way I’ve found to fix this is to restart the machine. I suppose I could kill/restart ehrec.exe or whatever it is, but so far whenever I’ve observed this I’ve always been in "just start recording the damn tv!" mode :-)

If you want more details, just ask.

29. Jack says:

Create CD/DVD is broken sort of after the upgrade. I used to be able to record 2 hours of tv to a DVD with no problem. Now, I get the option of reducing quality which doesn’t help and I can only record 1 hour of tv to a DVD.

30. Shawn Neace says:

Dave,

I enjoy the blog. I just started reading it recently. Keep up the good work! Now on to my issue with RU2…

Since applying RU2, if I play anything with an AC3 soundtrack (e.g. HDTV, DVD), then non-AC3 sound (including Media Center sounds, analog TV and non-AC3 .avi’s) will cease working unless I exit out of MCE to Windows and then restart the MCE interface. I can resolve this issue by uninstalling RU2. There are numerous people over on the TheGreenButton forums and other spots on the net having this issue. Everyone I’ve seen with this problem is using a Via Envy chipset-based sound card. I’ve completely reimaged my Media Center (much to the chagrin of my wife) and still have this issue. Here are my system specs:

-PIV 2.4ghz CPU

-Asus P4G8X-D Motherboard

-1gb Crucial DDR

-Radeon 9800 Pro

-200gb WD Caviar PATA HD

-Chaintech AV-710 soundcard (Envy 24HT chipset)-connected to 5.1 Receiver by Optical/Toslink cable

-Nec 2500a DVDRW

-Hauppage PVR-250MCE

-Hauppage PVR-150MCE

-Ahanix D.Vine5 case

Your help is appreciated.

31. Shawn Neace says:

Dave,

-PIV 2.4ghz CPU

-Asus P4G8X-D Motherboard

-1gb Crucial DDR

-Radeon 9800 Pro

-200gb WD Caviar PATA HD

-Nec 2500a DVDRW

-Hauppage PVR-250MCE

-Hauppage PVR-150MCE

-Ahanix D.Vine5 case

Your help is appreciated.

32. jandrewm says:

Hi, Good blog, very helpful.

I have returned two brand new HP MCE PCs (HP m7277c-b)with the same problem, and now I have a third with this issue. The units were all built in late October and came with RU2 pre-installed.

The problem is the ATI Radeon X600 graphics card does not wake from Away Mode. I have messed with the power settings, and different ways to enter and exit Away Mode (remote control, sleep button, time out, etc.).

I am working with HP and ATI support on the issue but they haven’t been able to figgure it out.

Any Ideas?

I want to use this unit as a TV in my office/Den but I don’t want to leave it full power on all the time.

–Andrew

33. Larry J says:

I’d like an update on the s3 standby/buffering issue as mentioned above as well. My machine refuses to go to sleep after waking up to update the guide. If I reboot, it will go to sleep on its own, but after a week or so, it won’t. If I shutdown the shell, it will sleep on its own. Performance Monitor shows CPU spiking to 10% every 8 seconds; this goes away when the shell is closed. I also posted this in Aaron Stebner’s blog.

34. dswtan says:

It was the update to Rollup 2 that got me, not the Rollup itself — see "dswtan" posts in the newsgroup.

I still find MCE less reliable these days than previous to Rollup 2 and its update-from-hell. I also see the non-sleeping problem reported above. I see generally rough performance, including random cryptic errors on shutdown of the shell — worryingly, they don’t appear to fire off Watsons to report to Microsoft what happened.

For feedback, no one mechanism is going to please everyone. But I would like to see a user-initiated reporting mechanism accessible from within the OS and/or shell. (Needs to be out of the shell in case the shell is down.)

I use MCE solely from my desktop, so I have an ASCII keyboard attached all the time for writing such feedback — I appreciate others may not.

35. Jim Cross says:

Many thanks for providing the opportunity for feedback – especially for mce2005 rollup2!

I can understand the deluge MS would suffer if opened to feedback, so maybe limit the ability to provide feedback to say the top 10 current issues (top by the number of negative feedback I guess, but I’ll leave the detail to someone cleverer than me) by using a simple forum that can easily be searched or surfed by headings/titles. As and when issues get resolved, closed or workarounds then no further feedback accepted and the next issue opened for feedback etc.

As for rollup 2, it has been a painful experience, unfortunately I decided to do just before Christmas and now I have many recorded films with ‘stuttering’ video!

Please confirm if there is any information as to why after applying rollup 2, MCE fails to go back into standby or hibernation after waking to record?

I find it interesting that ‘screen saver’ CAN tell when MCE is not being used but Power Management can’t…