Gert Drapers reports that Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals - codenamed Datadude - has gone RTM and is now available on MSDN Subscriber Downloads.
Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Database Professionals delivers a market shifting database development product that provides a foundation for managed database evolution through the use of an offline, visual studio project-centered source code control system together with a suite of tools designed to streamline database changes and help understand the impact of proposed changes. Schemas, DML and metadata can be versioned, unit tests can be created and executed to ensure quality, and comparisons can be made with test and production systems prior to deployment. Integration with Team Foundation Server helps increase the productivity of the database professionals by enabling them to become an integral part of the application team.
With Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Database Professionals users can:
- Take control of database change by leveraging an offline, version-controlled representation of the database which is the one true version of the database schema
- Improve software quality by automating database testing using integrated unit testing and data generation features
- Be more productive when making changes to the database using powerful T-SQL and refactoring tools
- Deploy incremental updates using powerful comparison, build and deploy functionality for the database
- Improve collaboration and communication between all team members through integration with Team Foundation Server
Following 2 downloads are available to install:
- Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals - Trial Edition (English)
This image is a 19 MB download which can be installed on top of an existing Visual Studio Team Suite installation. Despite the installer is a trial it will detect that you have a full license instead of a trial license and do the right thing.
- Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals - DVD (English)
This image is a 3.8 GB download and is the full product download.
If you plan to do a new install of VSTS you will need to install Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals separately as there won't be a new SKU that includes VSTE for DB Pro's!
More technical resources can be found on the Database Professional Team Center at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/teamsystem/aa718764.aspx.