I was recently asked if it was possible to utilise Compact Framework 1.1 with VS2005. I recollected from the dim and distant past that I had done it but this prompted me to go and have a look for the resource again - Well I've found it and it appears to still work...
The information was originally posted in Jomo Fisher's blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/jomo_fisher/archive/2005/04/22/410903.aspx but I include it below for reference - obviously for Whidbey read VS2005 🙂
(1) Copy this MSBuild targets file to “C:\program files\msbuild\CrossCompile.CSharp.targets”
(2) Create a new C# project somewhere called MyApp.
(3) Use notepad to edit MyApp.csproj. Replace the entire <Import> tag with
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\CrossCompile.CSharp.targets" />
(4) When prompted, reload the project. You’ll have to answer a security dialog.
(5) In VS, click the drop-down that says ‘Any CPU’ and select ‘Configuration Manager’
(6) Under Active Solution Platform, select <New…>
(7) Select ‘.NET 1.1’ (pretty cool, eh?) and press OK.
(8) Build and notice error about System.Collections.Generic. This means its working because generics aren’t supported in 1.1.
(9) Open Program.cs and delete the line: