We are pleased to announce the latest update to the Public Preview release of the Azure Database Migration Service (Azure DMS): Support for migrations from SQL Server to Azure SQL Database Managed Instance!
Azure DMS now supports on-premises SQL Server database migrations to Azure SQL Database Managed Instance.
Azure DMS reduces the complexity of cloud migrations via the use of a single, comprehensive service. Azure DMS supports migrations of homogeneous/heterogeneous source-target pairs, and the guided migration process is easy to understand and implement.
Using Azure DMS to perform a migration is a simple as following these high-level steps:
- Create an instance of Azure SQL Database Managed Instance.
- Create an instance of the Azure Database Migration Service.
- Create a migration project using the Azure Database Migration Service.
- Run the migration.
- Monitor the migration.
- For more information about what Azure DMS can do for you, see the Azure Database Migration Service (Preview) page.
- For detailed documentation on Azure DMS, see the article What is the Azure Database Migration Service Preview.
- To begin using Azure DMS for your Microsoft SQL Server to Azure SQL Database Managed Instance migrations, log in to the Azure portal with your Azure account credentials, and then set up an instance.
- To provide feedback on your experience with using the Public Preview release of Azure DMS, go to the Azure Database Migration Service Feedback Forum.
For information about additional migration tools and services, view the following resources:
- Azure Database Migration Guide
- Data Migration Assistant
- Database Experimentation Assistant
- SQL Server Migration Assistant
Take advantage of this latest feature today and be sure to let us know what you think! We look forward to working with you to realize the full potential of Azure DMS!
The Database Migration Team