DEA 2.1 GA version is now available! Learn more here.
Database Experimentation Assistant (DEA) is a new A/B testing solution for SQL Server upgrades. It will assist in evaluating a targeted version of SQL for a given workload. Customers who are upgrading from previous SQL Server versions (SQL Server 2005 and above) to any new version of the SQL Server will be able to use these analysis metrics provided, such as queries that have compatibility errors, degraded queries, query plans, and other workload comparison data, to help them build higher confidence, making it a successful upgrade experience.
What is new?
DEA 2.0 is a major version update and include the following improvement
- Bundled installation of DEA dependencies: Installation is simplified by bundling all dependencies (barring R-Interop and CRAN) with DEA installer. Note that DReplay set up is assumed to be available to run replay.
- Support for multiple captures and replay from the UI: DEA UI now supports ability to start multiple captures and replay. Please refer to How to capture workload using DEA for details.
- Simplified replay through DEA UI: Number of steps required to start a replay is reduced from 3 to 1. DEA will also show status from DReplay controller as well as all the clients. How to replay workload using DEA for details
- Revamped user interface for analysis: this version includes more intuitive UI for tool and especially analysis reports.
- Bug fixes from DEA 1.0: Many customer reported bugs are fixed as part of this release. This includes fix for error while capturing in 2005, errors seen while replay and analysis.
- Feedback UI: Customers can now submit feedback through a simple UI in DEA.
The following documents gives a step by step guide to leverage DEA 2.0 for workload comparison
- Solution architecture to compare workloads using DEA
- How to use DEA 2.0
- How to configure replay environment and common issues
- Common issues and solutions while capturing workload
- Common issues and solutions while replaying workloads
- Common issues and solutions while analyzing workloads
- Upgrade existing analysis schema
- Using DEA 2.0 from command line
You can install from Microsoft Download Center. Run ‘DatabaseExperimentationAssistant.exe' to install Database Experimentation Assistant tool.
Supported sources and target versions
Source: SQL Server 2005 and above
Target: SQL Server 2005 and above
Analysis : SQL Server 2008 and above