Released: Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v3.1

Overview

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) enables you to upgrade to a modern data platform by detecting compatibility issues that can impact database functionality on your new version of SQL Server. It recommends performance and reliability improvements for your target environment. It also allows you to not only move your schema, data, but also uncontained objects from your source server to your target server.

DMA replaces all previous versions of SQL Server Upgrade Advisor and should be used for upgrades for most SQL Server versions (see below for supported versions).

What is new?

DMA v3.1 is a minor version update and includes following additions:

• Improved assessment recommendations for Azure SQL Databases around database collations, use of unsupported system stored procedures, and CLR objects.
  • Added assessment guidance for compatibility levels 130, 120, 110 and 100 migrating to Azure SQL Databases.

Existing features

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v3.0

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v2.1

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v2.0

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) v1.0

Supported sources and target versions

Source: SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, and SQL Server 2016
Target: SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, and Azure SQL Database

Installation

You can install the tool from Microsoft Download Center. Execute DataMigrationAssistant.msi to install Data Migration Assistant.

Resources

1. Dave says:

Any chance the application can 'save' assessment projects? I don't really want to have to re-run an assessment every time I open the application (can take quite a while!), and 'Export Report' output is certainly not as user friendly.

To be honest, I am a bit confused by the 'Delete Assessment' option, because I seem to lose the Assessments when I close the application. Does the work differently for Migrations?

1. Harini Gupta says:

Hi Dave, Thanks for using the DMA tool and providing feedback. Sorry about the pains you are experiencing and that this functionality isn't available already. However, the ability to save or persist assessment & migration projects is in our backlog and will be available in future releases. Stay tuned...

1. Ramzay_I says:

Could you please also add the feature to reload assessment reports? DMA.EXE provides nice view of the assessment results.

1. Harini Gupta says:

Thanks for the feedback, I will take that into consideration.

2. Ju Bilker says:

Hello, would you mind to provide me some info: the size of the source, how long it took to complete the assessment?

I tested to run the compatibility and new features recommendations few times; each time the process was running over a night, no result or report was generated. All the time, same info assessment is in progress. I do not think the assessment should take such long time, because the source is few MBs.

2. pokorourk2 says:

I am receiving the following errors when running an assessment against one of my databases:

The assessment of database '' on server '' failed.
    Failed to extract dacpac at location ''.
    Could not extract package from specified database.
    Error 0: An error occurred while attempting to reverse engineer elements of type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SchemaModel.ISqlModelElement: Batch Command during reverse engineer failed with Error Code: -2146232060 Line Number: 3 Error Message: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'with'. If this statement is a common table expression, an xmlnamespaces clause or a change tracking context clause, the previous statement must be terminated with a semicolon..
    Error 0: An error occurred while attempting to reverse engineer elements of type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SchemaModel.ISqlModelElement: Batch Command during reverse engineer failed with Error Code: -2146232060 Line Number: 4 Error Message: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'with'. If this statement is a common table expression, an xmlnamespaces clause or a change tracking context clause, the previous statement must be terminated with a semicolon..

This is the full error text, only replacing sensitive data. There doesn't seem to be any indication of the relevant objects related to these error messages.

1. Harini Gupta says:

Thanks for reaching out. This is happening inside DacFx when we build the schema model during our assessment. Would it be possible for you to send us the .bak of the database that repros the issue. You can email me directly.

1. Ju Bilker says:

I have been trying to reach your team for a while & many times, but no responding, very bad experience!!!!! I doubt whether I will receive any responding from you this effort again !!!!!!!!!!!

I am testing DMA v3.1 to include my Doc, but failed to run DMA v3.1. No error message or info from the software, so I had to explore logs, but not much info and help.

If DMA v3.1 team is working, please reach me via ju.j.bilker.ctr@mail.mil ASAP to provide some help, thanks!

1. Harini Gupta says:

Hi Ju,

I am so sorry to hear your frustrations that you are running into with DMA 3.1. from the error stack below, it looks like a permission issue in extracting the dacpac. Can you make sure that the service account you're using has sufficient permissions?

Also, for future reference, the team email address you can reach out to directly is dmafeedback@microsoft.com. We are very active on this alias and one of us will definitely respond to you as soon as possible.

Apologies again for the issues you are running into. Let us know what you find out about the permissions.

3. Ju Bilker says:

Apparently DMA v3.1 was installed successfully. But I tested the compatibility and new features recommendations few times; each time the process was running over a night, no result or report was generated. All the time, same info assessment is in progress. I do not think the assessment should take such long time, because the source is few MBs.

Did anyone run into same issue? Please advise, thanks!

1. Harini Gupta says:

Hi Ju,

No the assessments for few MBs should clearly not take this long. Can you please share DMA logs that are located here?

%AppData%\Local\DataMigrationAssistant\Dma.log
      %AppData%\Local\DataMigrationAssistant\DmaError.log

Please send out to dmafeedback@microsoft.com team alias.

Skip to main content