Connections to the SQL Server fails after certain windows update and getting the below error:
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To make these registry changes, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Openbox, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
- On the Editmenu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- For the computer that is receiving the connection request, type DisableServerExtendedMasterSecret: REG_DWORD for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
- For the computer that is initiating the connection request, type DisableClientExtendedMasterSecret: REG_DWORD for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the new DWORD entry, and then click Modify.
- Type 1 (or any non-zero value) in the Value databox to disable the TLS extension.
If you have performed the above action plan and you are still experiencing the issue, then please contact the Microsoft CSS team for further investigation.
Author: Ranjit Mondal – Support Engineer, SQL Server BI Developer team, Microsoft
Reviewer: Krishnakumar Rukmangathan – Support Escalation Engineer, SQL Server BI Developer team, Microsoft