So you want to start developing gadgets for live.com... what do you need to get started?
I'd make the following a checklist of things to get and read:
- Read: Getting Started with live.com gadgets
- Download: Visual Web Developer Express
- Download: Gadget Samples
- Resource: Atlas Runtime Reference
- Read Gadget Development using Simple HTML Markup
- Read: What to do if my gadget doesn't load
This should give you a solid starting point to work from. Also - you can get a community provided template for Visual Studio that you might want to try here - I haven't used it yet, but its sure to beat manual creation of files, etc.