Minor Boing Update for Channel 9 Interview…

I have discovered an effective way to make sure you follow up on your promises: arrange to have them captured on video.  I had not been able to find the 15 minutes to try Rob’s suggestion for inserting a resource into a collection since November, but somehow tonight was different.  I actually heard from the community before I received the internal email notifying me that the segment had been posted.  🙂

Here is the updated source which no longer uses the WindowsLoaded event.  It’s now 100% Xaml.  The trick I was missing was the <x:Include x:Content={ball} /> which is a Xaml element that evaluates to a reference to the resource named “ball”.  This allows me to take the same animated bouncing ball model and insert it into two Viewport3Ds to efficiently create the mirroring effect in Xaml which I was previously falling back to C# in the code-behind to do.

1. chris says:

are you gonna release the code for the small app you made with the red square? i thought it was quite cool 🙂

2. I watched the Channel 9 video and became quite interested in Xaml. But had a quick question.

In all the demos you showed they ran inside a window. Can you just do away with the window and have the object appear on the virtual desktop using the desktop as the camera and have other Xaml objects in same space. IMHO this wold be needed to do away with the 2d window interface and leverage the power of 3D interface for applications.

3. Lucas Menge says:

definetly agree with dbarry@hvc.rr.com

that’s what i was looking forward the most: windowless 3d objects. not necessarily windowless, but on something that could be free from the rectangular shape.

4. Steve says:

Saw the video on Channel9. Very good example! Keep the demos coming. 🙂

God Bless,

Steve

5. Eric says:

I saw the Channel 9 interview; the most interesting part for me was the application using event handler to produce animation for the X-Box show case. Is there any possibility to know how you have bean able to manage animation and event handler together to produce this piece of code?

How do you manage you canvas and resource against your code? I’m trying to do a similar concept for a login screen, I my spare time

6. dotnetjunkie says:

Yes, I’d like to know that too!

Maybe you can write a blog entry Daniel about how that can be done?

7. chris says:

that’s be cool, the xbox app looked amazing 🙂

8. Charles Chen says:

Hmmm…sample source doesn’t seem to be working. I get the window and I see the gradient, but I don’t see the ball/animation.

Am I doing something wrong?

9. When you use two viewports for the bouncing ball, does that mean there’s no way to do API-level/hardware reflection in Avalon by itself?