Cha-Cha-Changes

At Microsoft, the only constant is change…

It’s been a wild ride as the C# Product Manager, but I’m officially changing jobs and to become the Lead Product Manager for the Visual Studio Express product line. Leaving C# was a hard decision, especially because IMNSHO, the C# team is one of the best teams in the company and with C# 3.0 the future of C# is bright (LINQ == LOVE)! So why switch jobs? Well that’s simple, Visual Studio Express is a great product and with dedicated product management resources, we can really take it to the next level! Before my new job was created, Visual Studio Express didn’t have any dedicated Product Management headcount. Instead it was something that Brian Keller and I did because we knew Express would be a hit and because we were both passionate about the product. Now, we’ll actually have a dedicated team for Visual Studio Express ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s been a wild ride in the close to two years I’ve been the C# Product Manager. Here are just some of my favorite moments I’ve blogged about:

The Microsoft’s not using Managed Code Myth
One of the biggest challenges in my old job was that customers didn’t think Microsoft was using managed code. Well, the truth is that we have a good amount of managed code in the three years that the .NET Framework has been released including operating systems, client tools, Web properties, and Intranet applications. For those of you that refuse to believe, here’s an estimate of the lines of managed code in Microsoft applications that I got permission to blog about:

• Visual Studio 2005: 7.5 million lines
  • SQL Server 2005: 3 million lines
  • BizTalk Server: 2 million lines
  • Visual Studio Team System: 1.7 million lines
  • Windows Presentation Foundation: 900K lines
  • Windows Sharepoint Services: 750K lines
  • Expression Interactive Designer: 250K lines
  • Sharepoint Portal Server: 200K lines
  • Content Management Server: 100K lines

Most importantly I wanted to thank the members of the C# community including RDs, MVPs, Codewise partners, all six of my blog readers and everyone else I’m forgetting for your help and constructive feedback over the years.

If any of you are interested in becoming a product manager for C#, we are of course hiring ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Brian Nantz says:

Caongrats on the changes! Maybe you’ll get on the XBOX team yet :). By the way, I heard that small business accounting and CRM had .Net code in them. Is this an exhaustive list?

2. lexp says:

VS2005 contains 8 times more managed code than WPF? OMG!

3. RJM says:

What are those code line counts as a percentage of the total lins of code?

4. anon says:

Prove the numbers.

5. Chris Chapman says:

Prove the numbers? Good grief. Do any serious coding? Get a copy of Reflector or Anakrino. Open up the assemblies. Have a look for yourself!

Anyone who does any serious coding with MSFT apps knows this.

6. Leonardo Cantelmo says:

And what about Office 12?

It’s going to use WPF?

Thanks.

7. No pude asistir personalmente, pero es muy interesante ver el repositorio de lanzamientos realizados…

8. Dan says:

Office 12 will allow full automation using the .NET framework and C#, VB.NET.  Also integration of Windows Workflow Foundation will enable a signifigant .NET engineered library.

9. Shvanger says:

Hallo!

Also, ich bin echt froh, dass ich diese Seite gefunden habe. Da ich schon seit 6 Jahren stolze MS-BEsitzerin bin, weiß ich zwar schon eine ganze Menge (mehr über Erfahrungen als über Bücher gelernt…)

10. Harmless says:

7.5 million lines of C# code in VC2005? Well now I know why it’s slow as heck. Has anyone on that team ever tried the find in files dialogue box? Holy cow it takes a long time to load.

11. Daniel says:

I wonder how MS is dealing with disassembler and reflector tools that allow to get down to function and variable names.

Wonder if obfuscators are used, although, from my experience even the best of the best obfuscators (at least all the trials versions I tried) manage to produce .NET assemblies that crash or hang in infinite loops on complex .NET code. I worked on projects with over 100K lines of .NET code and from 15+ shared assemblies.

Maybe things have changed.

12. mohno's blog says:

.NET Framework ใฎใƒžใƒใƒผใ‚ธใ‚ณใƒผใƒ‰ใ‚’ใ€ใƒžใ‚คใ‚ฏใƒญใ‚ฝใƒ•ใƒˆ่‡ช่บซใŒไฝฟใฃใฆใ„ใชใ„ใฎใงใฏใชใ„ใฎใ‹ใ€ใจใ„ใ†็–‘ๅ•ใ‚’่žใใ“ใจใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ™ใ€‚ใ“ใ‚Œใซๅฏพใ™ใ‚‹็ญ”ใˆใŒใ€Dan Fernandez ใฎใƒ–ใƒญใ‚ฐใงๅ…ฌ้–‹ใ•ใ‚Œใฆใ„ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚ใ“ใ“ใ‹ใ‚‰ๅผ•็”จใ™ใ‚‹ใจไปฅไธ‹ใฎใ‚ˆใ†ใซ่†จๅคงใชใƒžใƒใƒผใ‚ธใ‚ณใƒผใƒ‰ใŒไฝฟใ‚ใ‚Œใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใงใ™ใ€‚…

13. omz says:

I found very interesting this commentary ( James Hancock posting at http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2004/11/02/251254.aspx#251337 ):

"…

MS: Learn! Every version of vs.net is not complete until every GUI element that you have introduced in Office or Windows is available for use in the framework. That means the task thing in XP, combo controls that work, date time pickers that work, etc. etc.

This is the point that so many developers are getting at when they say MS obviously isn’t using the .NET framework to write windows applications. If they were, then we wouldn’t have this mess that is winforms because your own people would revolt if they had to use the crap that is in the framework. Eat your own dog food and I bet Winforms get one hell of a lot better VERY quickly.

…"

14. No pude asistir personalmente, pero es muy interesante ver el repositorio de lanzamientos realizados