Announcing the release of Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions

I am proud to announce that today, November 7th 2005, we officially released the downloadable versions of Visual Studio 2005 Express on MSDN and they are free to download for one year!

Download Visual Studio Express
You can download Visual Studio Express from the links below:

Express is free for one year

Until November 7, 2006, we are promotionally discounting the downloadable versions of Express to free. This doesn’t mean that the product turns off after a year, but rather that as long as you download the product before November 7, 2006, you can get it for free and you can use it forever.

Rewards for Registering

The other big news announced at the Visual Studio launch is the availability of the Visual Studio Express DIY Kit, which is a set of benefits you get for registering Express and includes:

• 250 royalty-free stock photography images from Corbis
  • Free Windows Icons from IconBuffet

• Free eBooks including: Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition: Build a Web Site Now, Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition: Build a Program Now!, and Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition: Build a Program Now!

• 3rd party components from VSIP partners

• And we have more benefits coming soon

Want More Information?

Take a tour of the newly revamped Visual Studio Express Edition Web site, read the Frequently Asked Questions, and as always, please tell us what you think πŸ™‚

We hope you enjoy Visual Studio Express as much as we do!

Sincerely,

The Visual Studio Express Team

1. Giuliano Sauro says:

Well,

that’s absolutely stunning, the 2005 Express editions are such GREAT tools that I can’t believe my eyes they are released for free.

It was really exciting to follow the developement stages on the blogs.

Thank you very much for your work and keep staying open to the customers suggestions and feedback. It was the most important change in the last years.

2. Richard says:

Nice of Microsoft to offer visual studio for free as a nod to us hobbyist. I would be glad to pay a small fee for it.

3. Dennis van der Stelt says:

I don’t get it, the faq (and other info) says : SQL Server 2005 Express is a easy-to-use and free-to-download version of SQL Server 2005 that is designed for building simple, data-driven applications.

Then why say it’s a free download for one year? Won’t it be a free download anymore after a year? Please clarify. MSDE was free for eternity. Where is SQL Exrpess different from MSDE other then that it has better features? I mean on pricing and licensing here!

4. Dennis van der Stelt says:

Hey, read any further mate! πŸ™‚

"Note that SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is also a free download. The free pricing for SQL Server Express is not limited to the same one-year promotional period as Visual Studio Express."

But I didn’t know the Express editions were going to cost something after a year. I thought they’d be free for eternity as well.

5. Gaurav Patole says:

Just waiting to evaluate it, must be amazing… This is gonaa be a great turn around

6. Tim says:

Could you clarify something? Are

* Visual Web Developer 2005 Express

* Visual Basic 2005 Express

* Visual C# 2005 Express

* Visual C++ 2005 Express

* Visual J# 2005 Express

all part of the free Visual Studio 2005 Express?

7. Aart Thempleton says:

So Bill is Santa?!

He never gives anything away without having something in exchange.

What sort of suspicious code do the programmer unawares introduce into the users’ PCs belong with the applications produced with this development package?

"Palladium represents a modern *innovation* which could lead to a Digital Dark Age: a period of innovative stagnation where the majority of the world’s computing population will become unwitting subjects and indentured servants to the profiteering desires of the new corporate ruling class, and Microsoft the enforcer", "The Register" commented on Microsoft’s Palladium project.

Is M$ Visual Studio 2005 Express one more step in that direction?

Wish you a Merry Chrismas and remember to verify if who’s coming down the cimney is really Santa. How? Ask him for userID and passfrase!

If, while becoming blue, he says "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" you can be certain, he IS Santa! πŸ˜‰

8. Cliff Chism says:

I got home tonite to download the free version of command line C++ and instead found that I could have the whole Express Studio for free to play around with and learn on… So, I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth (especially since I believe that a large portion of my wallet has migrated to a much smaller portion of Bill’s in the past..) So, thanks for the present Bill, and have a Merry Christmas.

9. Mark Johnson says:

These express editions are great! Visual Studio is really evolving in a positive direction. I use Visual Web Developer 2005 and have found it to be a great all around web tool for html, CSS, and ASP. The designer view represents HTML better than GoLive, something I thought I would never see.

10. Richard Meyn says:

its unbeliveble, i’m real happy, btw is there any books regarding the same, i’d be happy to own a set of books that are direct from Microsoft. (not for free if not possible) πŸ˜‰

11. Toulinwoek says:

The Express Editions you download today can be used forever without cost or obligation, they don’t expire. Beginning November 7, 2006, you will have to pay to get the Express Editions (but if you already have the free downloaded versions, you won’t have to pay to keep using them). The last I heard, the cost was to be around 50 bucks for each module. I haven’t heard that there will ever be a cost for SQL Express.

Hope that clears that issue up πŸ™‚

I’d suggest downloading all the Express Editions. Even if you don’t right now plan to use them, if you should change your mind later, you’ll have them. You can burn the ISO’s to CD and stash them someplace.

As an aside, I seriously doubt that there exists any "suspicious code" in any of the Express Editions. This is merely a promotional discount for products that do actually have a selling price. If anyone feels unconfortable accepting free software, then they can always buy the Standard or Professional Edition.

12. motor says:

Hi,

I downloaded the visual studio c++ express edition image. I used iso_buster to open the image and browsed through the contents, to find what components are included.

I found that instead of the final .Net framework 2.0, it contained the beta .Net framework. Is this a problem. I think .Net framework 2.0 final was released about a month before the visual studio express editions. OR Am I missing something.

Can I install the .Net framework final 2.0, and get the IDE to point to it, rather than the Beta that comes with it.

Thanks

13. somename says:

Hi,

I downloaded the visual studio c++ express edition image. I burnt the img file to a CD and browsed through the contents, to find what components are included.

Thanks

14. sinha says:

Can I download ebooks  like

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition: Build a Web Site Now, Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition: Build a Program Now!

separately?

I am having sharpdevelop so i just want to download

above ebooks for learning .NET 2.0

15. danielfe says:

No, the eBooks are only available to customers that register Visual Studio Express. If you download and register Visual Web Developer Express and Visual C# Express Edition, you will then get an email to our benefits system that will enable you to download them, but they are not available for downloading without registration.

Thanks,

-Dan

16. panig says:

Alguns Alunos tem me pedido muito os links para baixar as ferramentas Express que são grátis. Pois bem,…

17. Brian Layman says:

Can anyone confirm or deny that the express edition of C++ allows you to build native 32bit apps?  There is a rumour going around that it will only build .NET apps.

A confirmation or denial from any of you folk that have downloaded it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

18. danielfe says:

The rumor is false πŸ™‚

C++ Express does support building both managed and native 32bit applications.

Thanks,

-Dan

19. (NOTE: I’m not really updating this list any more, but instead using del.icio.us. Hopefully soon I move…