Pre-RTM Visual Studio 2005 Automatic Uninstall Tool

It’s highly recommended that you install the RTM version of Visual Studio 2005 on a clean machine.

But…but…we realize a lot of people have installed some pre-release version of Visual Studio 2005, and to that end, the setup team has created our “best effort” for uninstalling the product, which is the (also unsupported) Automatic uninstall tool.

A couple of notes on the uninstaller

• Do not use this tool if you have installed SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition or higher (SQL Server 2005 Express is okay). Why? Because we don’t do ref counting on who is using the Framework and you can get into a situation where the uninstall tool will remove a pre-RTM version of the .NET Framework 2.0, but SQL Server 2005 Workgroup+ will still be installed on the machine. Because Workgroup edition uses managed code, you’ve now “hosed” your SQL 2005 Workgroup edition uninstall.  Check the product readme for step-by-step instructions

• Do not click “Cancel” when the Automatic uninstall tool is running. Depending on when you click Cancel, it can “hose” your machine uninstall

1. Police says:

I think the tool screwed up my SQL 2005 Express. It didn’t unininstall it and I have to do the uninstall from the add/remove programs. During the uninstall it gave a bunch of errors. And now when I can’t still the final as it’s saying there are still an incompatible beta version installed. Time to reformat.

2. Gabe says:

This won’t require a reboot, will it? If so, under what circumstances?

3. vbNullString says:

Worked great for me. You don’t know how much time it saved me using this tool. Thanks!

4. Maurice says:

Great tool! Thanks.

5. Okay, I saw "workgroup" and didn’t see the "+". I had the Developer version installed, which obviously gets broken when you run the uninstall tool. As far as I can tell, the only thing I need to do is re-install the correct 2.0 framework to then uninstall the remaining SQL 2005 bits. It would be helpful if all of the framework pre-release versions were available and then have a table of which version goes with which pre-release version of SQL 2005.

I’m not complaining…just trying to avoid the reformat option if at all possible.

6. J.Marsch says:

When I used the Uninstall tool, it did not uninstall MSXML 6.0 (which is listed in the readme as a "must go").

Is that a bug?

BTW: I was uninstalling VS Team RC1.

7. Zubair.NET! says:

The Tools worked fine for me though.

8. Rich says:

Sounds scary… hosing anything is never a good idea! I’ve got SQL Express Edition installed; and would need to migrate the data to the ‘real’ version. Will this be a problem?

9. Mike says:

I have SQL 2005 Dev installed. So should I uninstall this before or after running the uninstall tool?

Thanks

10. Nick G says:

On my machine, I got an error that said "framedyn.dll is not found" (or similar). It seems someone forgot to bundle a required file with this uninstaller?

11. Mike B says:

I ran the uninstaller, and it looked like it did a bunch of good stuff. At the end it asked if I wanted to reboot. I said Yes. Then the uninstaller reported an error having to do with not being able to talk to the Uninstaller Service. My guess, because the system was rebooting. In any event, I decided to run the uninstaller again, in the hopes that it might finish what it’d started. It seemed to get stuck, so I pushed the Cancel button. It took forever (15+ minutes) to rollback…nothing better than a backsliding progress bar, especially a really slow one. Then I rebooted, and VS2K5 RC1 was still installed. I ran the uninstaller again, and this time it took forever. No ask to reboot when it finished this time, but I did anyways. I then installed the new VS2K5 and things are cool. So it can be done!

I was going to recommend that folks "Just Say No" to the reboot question, but a colleague of mine went that route and had to go back to a restore point in order to stabilize his system and get the upgrade done. Oh well, it’s a great product, just a sucky upgrade process.

12. Andy Gray says:

The uninstall tool worked great for me. I rebooted beforehand (just to be sure), ran the tool, it ground away for quite a while, and then completed successfully. After that, the RTM version installed without incident. Thanks!

TabletDev.com – Essential information for Tablet PC developers and users.

13. sophros says:

The uninstall tool got refreshed on 11/7 and will be refreshed as more instalation issues will be known.

Please download from:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=47598

Before that date at that URL there was available a tool that do clean *everything*.

The older tool is still available (but not recommended unless you want RTM bits removed):   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=55128

Krzysztof

MS DevDiv Setup

14. Don Hubert says:

The tool seems to leave some 1 piece installed but it doesnt say specifically which one.

Installing SQL 2005 (any version) fails saying that it found Beta installation components.

I have searched the reqistry and didnt find ant references too SQL 2005.

It does not show up in the Uninstall list…

Any suggestions?

The message:

Tool failed to uninstall some components. Please verify that you have full administrative priveleges, reboot your machine and try to run this tool again.

The following task did not complete successfully:

Uninstall Visual Studio components

15. Po says:

Did the error "Suite Integration Toolkit Executable has encountered a problem…" appeared to you?

Its really frustrating I deleted, installed and dis-registred anything about Beta 2 of VS.Net 2k5 and this problem still appears.

please mail to paomeow@hotmail.com for any comments. Thanks.

16. Ognjen Bajic says:

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot.

17. Bill Vaughn says:

Nope. I have one pesky system that (I thought) never had any beta software installed. When I ran the uninstaller It returns "Visual Studio TT UO module has encountered an problem and needs to close. …

I’m on the cusp of reinstalling windows on this system… but I really don’t have a week to waste on the job.

18. Pollitzer says:

I used the uninstaller tool after the 11/7 fix. It rendered both Visual Studio 2005 and C# Express betas completely inoperable. All recently coded projects were simultaneously destroyed by loss of cproj readability.

Several (5-6) attempts to reinstall Visual Studio 2005 have been unsuccessful. C# Express also initially failed, but finally it did install. However, the product displays several strange and bothersome behaviors. Help doesn’t work–but I can go to the Developer Center. Also, several of the IDE windows work sporadically. There are more such examples.

I did a system restore, but that didn’t help. I also tried to revert to Visual Studio 2003, but that install failed also.

This problem has consumed incredible amounts of time, and has virtually killed productivity at a very bad time. IT IS A KILLER.

19. Pollitzer says:

20. JOHN PALATO says:

I was having trouble with the .net components failing to un-install using the newer version of the un-installer. I used the older version and that did the un-install successfully.

I still have to see if the vs 2005 will now install and run. I’ve been having problems with it. It installs, but then won’t run. I hope the removal of the components from the beta will fix this.

21. frank anderson says:

OK .. help! I did hit Cancel on the unistaller .. now it just sits for a LONG time with 0 files .. any way out of this other than wiping the system?

22. John Bolton says:

This doesn’t seem to fix the "Suite Integration Toolkit Executable has encountered a problem…" crash. I just got VS 2005 Standard and I can’t install it. I ran this tool and it said it couldn’t find anything. I reinstalled XP SP2 (as recommended by others), but the VS 2005 installation still crashes. I am desperate. Please help.

johnjbolton@AT@yahoo.DOT.com

23. phantomCod3r says:

This Tool Is Awesome! I tried to uninstall the VS2005 Pro and it errored with a message "uninstaller could not find a logical folder order! uninstall will now exit." One click on this tool and the problem vanished. Thank You for a GREAT job. I will be forwarding this URL to the Tech departments of all the institutions I have dealings with.

24. leo says:

Suite Integration Toolkit Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close

25. 아직 VS2005/SQL2005 한글버젼이 나오지는 않았지만… .NET Framework 2.0은 여기 서 여기 서 받을 수 있습니다! (VS2005와 SQL2005 영문버젼은

26. Paulo says:

OK, the actual and old tools does not run!!! The resulte is the same "a valid destination folder for the install could not be determined"

How about remove manually all files? Where I find the relation of this files?

please reply to: nalthor@hotmail.com

27. Daniel Clarke says:

This tool sucks.  It simply tries to find a whole bunch of non-existant MSI files, cries when it can’t find them, and then bombs out.

It tries to render soem invalid XML and files.

What crap.