Caffeine is the internet economy’s life blood

Caffeine is the internet economy’s life blood. Yeah, that’s a bold statement, but when your entire industry is over-worked, you should realize that there are complimentary things that we owe a great deal of debt to our success.

Personally, I’m suffering from some bad sleep depression and exhaustion right now. Today, I can not function without caffeine. My “sleep bank” has been exhausted and angry creditors beg for just a minute of rest. Not going to happen this week. I only have one cup of coffee Ghetto Mochatm (see recipe at the end of this post) a day so that I won’t build too much of a caffeine tolerance. Coffee is my poison of choice, as it’s convenient, ubiquitous, has less calories then Mountain Dew, and more caffeine then anything. What’s your favorite pick me up?

If you are lacking sleep and you want to get the most caffeine per 12oz, the chart below should help you determine how to get your fix:

Source: Wilstar.com has breakdown of caffeine by drink taken from the National Soft drink Assoc, FDA, Bunker and McWilliams and Pepsi.  My problem is they don’t calculate the right quantities (ex: comparing 8oz of coffee to 12oz of soda). As such, below is the sorted list of caffeine quantities across both sodas and coffee (using the conservative estimates for coffee) for 12oz drinks. Bottom line, if you need your fix, order six espressos (2oz each * 6 =  12 oz), a 12oz coffee, or two red bulls.  Aside – Who knew Pepsi One was stronger then Mountain Dew?!

Drink

Sundrop Orange 0
Minute Maid Orange 0
A&W Root Beer 0
Slice 0
Sierra Mist 0
Fresca 0

Despite my Colombian heritage, I don’t like the taste of coffee, I certaintly don’t take it black, and I simply don’t understand why anyone would ever want decaffinated coffee (unless their in coffee rehab and need a placebo).  I need some cream and sugar or other flavors to offset the bitter taste. Which brings me to a delicious recipe for office/cube dwellers everywhere, the Ghetto Mochatm.

• Mix 1 packet of Farmer Brothers hot chocolate mix (No sugar added variety is better) with 12oz fresh coffee. Stir vigorously and enjoy.

1. John says:

No! My goodness, that’s disgusting! No! It’s impossible to enjoy that!

Dan, if you want to enjoy coffee, you need to acquire the taste. One way is to have a perfect espresso, in a proper expresso cup, with a gorgeous crema froth on the top, and a little square of chocolate. Preferably, have it in a little cafe on a side-street in Rome, no more than a few minute’s walk from Piazza Navona.

Another way is to head to a Greek island, and have a mid-morning snack consisting of one of their extra-strong coffees with a serving of baklava. Just don’t swill down the last of the coffee, as the Greeks like to keep a spoonful of mud-like residue in the bottom of their cups.

Mixing a packets of Farmer Brother’s mysterious brown powder into MS coffee is just attempting to take two terrible things and cancel them out. No wonder you don’t like coffee…

2. What about Bawls (http://www.bawls.com)? I’m suprised that isn’t on the list. I couldn’t find it on the website…

3. eeyorena says:

Holy Smack! What a great list! Though it does mean I’m going to have to throw the Cream Soda over in favor of the Red Bull.

Yes, I once ATE COFFEE GROUNDS in college before my sleep disorder was diagnosed. No, I wouldn’t recommend it.

4. Scott – How many ounces are in a Bawls drink? I’ll add it to the list once I get the amount of caffeine/per 12 oz measurement.

Thanks!

-Dan

5. Jared says:

I disliked coffee for the same reason you did (too bitter) until recently when someone introduced me to the French Press!

Due to the different brewing method of the french press, the coffee will be smooth and not bitter. After using this wonderful device, it’s the only way I drink coffee but I still use sugar n’ cream, tho’!

6. Woody says:

BAWLS is listed as having 80mg of caffeine per 12 oz here:

However, the BAWLS Guarana bottles are actually only 10 fl oz. Suddenly, these puppies are pretty expensive for having less caffeine than a cup of Nescafe. I just bought a BAWLS case of 12 from CompUSA, and it cost about $1.40 per bottle….

If a Jolt costs $1.19 for a 20oz, you’re paying roughly $0.06/oz. A Starbucks Venti coffee of the day works out to be about $0.10/oz. BAWLS just set me back $0.14/oz, but it has almost half the caffeine of the Starbucks.

I just pulled out a can of Nescafe instant from my cupboard, which makes 840oz of really crappy coffee. However, it cost about $8.00 at the grocery store, has more caffeine per serving than BAWLS, and works out to be about $.01/oz.

The moral of the story, kids: If you need a cheap caffeine fix, don’t buy soft drinks.

7. jonathan T. says:

I’m a caffeine addict myself. Once upon a time, I was taking 13 cups a day, no kidding! I like your views, I agree with them. At my age (50 plus), I still cannot understand why on earth decaf was ever invented. It just confuses real coffee-"experts" like us. Oh, by the way, it’s funny that your <a href="http://www.the-jackpot-hunter.com/">A&W</a&gt; last part- came out to zero. Just recently, a crew of 12 or 13 from this fastfood company waged "war" with a lottery company. Only 9 were the original winners, so they wanted to cut off the other 3 or 4 people wanting to jump in their wagon. This case would probably drag on for a long time. (Can you imagine? Talk about greed, all of them would still be millionaires even if you divide the whole thing by 12 or 13.) Hahaha, after this, they might be shocked that after all the lawyers’ fees, their net take home would be ZERO!

8. patric says:

what about cappuccino- how much caffeine

9. George says:

Where I work (online marketing), we keep a dozen each of Red Bull regular and sugar-free.  I have a French press on my desk and a bag of yerba mate.  The entire office consumes about as much caffiene as the entire nation of Lithuania every day.