Music to Code By

In my previous post on Music, Seattle, and the Web, my loyal blog readers (I still respect you all even if the majority of you actually like candy corns) gave some great recommendations for online music in the comments.

One of the links I included was to a mix by DJ Bolivia, who personally emailed me and sent me a link to another mix that I might enjoy. How cool is that?!

It gets better, Jonathan, er DJ Bolivia (web site) and I started exchanging emails and I told him how I always wanted a mix specifically for developers considering how much time we spend listening to music. DJ Bolivia, to my surprise, had some programming experience and decided to take me up on the offer of creating a mix for developers!!

“I Never Expected This” – Music to Code By, Vol. 1 of 3
64 minutes of Progressive/Tribal House.
Download the MP3, or listen to the stream

I thought the mix was great, what do you all think?

1. That rocks, I have really enjoyed the choons on http://www.iamthedj.com which was recommend by Scoble.

2. Don’t mean to sound disrespectful, but WHO CARES about the music you listen to?

I read Microsoft Weblogs to find out about technology and problem – solving.

3. Eric Maino says:

I am listening to it right now.. It’s pretty good so far, but I am only a few minutes into it right now..

I will give an update in a few hours..

4. In response to Peter – I marked this blog entry under the personal category. If you want purely technical coverage, I suggest you ignore posts from my personal category as I will talk about things like music, hockey, air conditioning, and lots more other things that you may not care about. If I didn’t write about them or if I didn’t write with my personal voice, I might as well be writing reference documentation instead.

More importantly, this is, in my opinion, relevant to developers. A good number of developers listen to music when they write code, and here’s a DJ that created a mix designed for developers. This mix is, as far as I know**, the only music mix designed for developers, and *that* makes it both unique and relevant to developers.

I don’t meant to come off as rude, and I hope I didn’t, I just wanted to share my personal philosophy on blogging.

** The only other source of music for the developers was the radio station "MusicForHackers.com – Soundscapes for Compromising Remote Hosts" circa 2000. Unfortunately the radio station tracks were stale and it died a relatively quick death.

5. Heh heh, I just checked your Blog Dan, and it is you that is being very cool about this! I packaged up a CD for you this evening (actually, several, so you can hand a few out too), and will do the same for the next couple mixes that come out.

Looking forward to any feedback – I’m quite willing to be flexible in the styles of the next couple CD’s. I’m going to try to "release" the third one officially (New Year’s) when I play at the Babylon Club in Toronto on December 30th.

– Jonathan

6. Kevin says:

In response to Peter –

Why would someone take time out to be an ass? I must say that comment changes my view of the guy a little.

7. Aaron says:

Dan, thanks for posting this and sharing. And to DJ Bolivia, it’s an excellent mix.

I too, as a developer, listen to music constantly and am always checking out new mixes to code to.

I have an ever growing collection – but nothing as customized as this!

8. Anonymous says:

KAOPEH.COM » What Music do you Code to?

9. JPDaigle says:

WOW that was fast!

(Also, good listen. In another genre, I also recommend anything by Nine Inch Nails for coding.)

$ wget -c http://www.mta.ca/pub/music/DJ%20Bolivia%20-%20I%20Never%20Expected%20This.mp3“>http://www.mta.ca/pub/music/DJ%20Bolivia%20-%20I%20Never%20Expected%20This.mp3

–22:22:51– http://www.mta.ca/pub/music/DJ%20Bolivia%20-%20I%20Never%20Expected%20This.mp3“>http://www.mta.ca/pub/music/DJ%20Bolivia%20-%20I%20Never%20Expected%20This.mp3

=> `DJ Bolivia – I Never Expected This.mp3′

Resolving http://www.mta.ca... 138.73.1.35

Connecting to http://www.mta.ca[138.73.1.35]:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK

Length: 62,124,160 [audio/mpeg]

100%[============================================================================>] 62,124,160 2.22M/s ETA 00:00

22:23:18 (2.18 MB/s) – `DJ Bolivia – I Never Expected This.mp3′ saved [62124160/62124160]

10. Josh says:

This is the coolest thing I’ve read all night. 🙂

11. Brian Keller says:

Nobody is going to comment on how appropriate the title is? "I never expected this" is definitely a mantra for programming. At least, the way I program it is!

"Well… I never expected I would forget THAT semicolon" or "Well… I never expected THAT algorithm to break after only three iterations." or "Well… I never expected this project to take me the entire night as I lose the battle to ‘feature creep’!"

12. ms44cn says:

Good.

I think the music is also relevant to someone’s ability or interesting .That may be relavent to your app skills or software design Thingking.

All in all, I like this Mix music.

Thank you attach the download url.

13. Sheila says:

While trying to figure how to get the music streamed at my blog I came across your site and this mix. I love it! I’m not a coder but I do spend quite a bit of time playing on the computer. It’s purrfectly chill so I can THINK and the beat keeps me groovin’ at a good pace for the soul (i.e. creativity) and the mind (i.e. productivity).

14. J Axne says:

Great to come across this Blog. Music is better than caffiene at times to get you through those long nights and deadlines. Looking forward to the mix!

15. vtl says:

16. e.sorib says:

Thanks man! I was procrastinating ….I needed music to code to……for first time in my life I googled that…this was listed first…am listening to DJ Bolivia Mix…and getting juiced up to start coding…….better than technical code support is emotional code support…anything that works…and this music will…..but-a-boom-but-a-bang.

17. Jonathan Clark (DJ Bolivia) says:

Thanks everyone … all these years later, these mixes continue to draw a huge amount of traffic (ie. almost a terabyte per week).  I ended up having to put them onto a new server recently because my old ISP didn't appreciate the bandwidth drain.  Now they're on Parcom, run by Crazy Dave up in Seattle.  Here's a link to the posts so you can find new download links:

djbolivia.blogspot.com/…/music-to-code-by-volumes-1-3.html