WS-DD v1.1 specs are now standards

OASIS has just announced that version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP are now officially standards!

The links to the RDDL and spec pages currently point to the Committee Specification 1 (CS1) revisions of the specs, but OASIS will update these links to the fully standardized versions of the documents soon.

This is a big milestone in the progress of these specifications.  My thanks go to the other members of the WS-DD Technical Committee, who all showed great dedication to this technology, and many of whom made substantial commitments of time and energy in producing high-quality specifications.

1. Mridu says:

Hi,

We have implemented DPWS stack and WS-Print on our printer device. Discovery and printing over WSD works fine from Windows Vista and Win7.

But when we run WLK 1.5’s WSDMon Printer Verification Test, the test log says that "Printer is not a WSD device". Any idea why this could be happening?

PS: We have seen that the last communication from the Printer to the DTM client is a GetResponse (which sends details on printer friendly name, hosted print service ID etc).

Thanks and regards,

Mridu

2. dandris says:

Hi Mridu-

In general, troubleshooting a solution-specific problem like this starts with verifying that the metadata fields are byte-for-byte correct with what’s in the protocol specification.

For more specific troubleshooting help, you can contact Microsoft technical support.

–Dan

3. Reghz says:

Hi Mridu!

You might want to make sure that you have installed the device using WSD Port 🙂

-Reghz

4. winne says:

Hi Dan,

I couldn’t find any information on when WSDAPI will support DPWS 1.1. As you’ve been on the interop team, there obviously is some compatible WSDAPI version? When and how will this version be release to Vista/7 users or has this already been done?

Will WSDAPI support both 1.0 and 1.1 in the future? How do you handle "mixed" environments?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

winne

5. dandris says:

Hello-

Unfortunately, I can’t discuss plans for any new products, or for changes to existing products.

Thanks

–Dan

6. Paulo says:

Hi,

Were can I find a description of a DPWS Printer ?

I want to have acces to the information about the PortTypes and operations

thx in advance

Paulo

7. dandris says:

Hi Paulo-

You can find the WSD Print and Scan specs implemented in Windows at this page: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/rally/wsdspecs.mspx

–Dan

8. Paulo says:

Hey Dan,

I have one more question 🙂

let’s say I wrote a webservice application which invoke a DPWS PrintService on a printer.

and let’s say this DPWS printer has a mal function and I replaced it with my older UPnP printer in order to print.

Is there any interoperability between those two ?

I looked at the specs but seems the DPWS operations and UPnP Actions are similar semantically at least.

Does MS provide some interoperability tool?

Regards,

Paulo.

9. dandris says:

Hi Paulo-

WSD Print and its UPnP counterpart (the UPnP Print DCP?) do not interoperate.  This is true of all DPWS vs. UPnP device protocols, as they rely on different underlying protocols (e.g., DPWS uses WS-Addressing whereas UPnP does not).

The fact that UPnP and DPWS print protocols expose similar semantics is a consequence of the fact that both are print protocols.  I think you’ll find that many of these principles carry over to non-XML based print protocols, as well.  UPnP and DPWS are not unique in this regard.

I’m not aware of any protocol translation tools between them.

Thanks

–Dan

10. anderzubi says:

Hello Dan,

Is this version supported by WSDAPI? I'm not able to see the devices which use WS-Discovery 1.1 version on Network.

Thanks

11. dandris says:

Hi aZubi-

WSDAPI currently only implements the member submission versions of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP.

Thanks

–Dan

12. anderzubi says:

Any plans for implementing it in the near future?

13. dandris says:

Sorry, I cannot provide any details on future product plans.