Max, the cat

The name for Max (the product) was inspired by the name of a coworker’s dog. I like to say it was because of my cat Max:

Max is having some kidney problems and is at the vet getting IV fluids. He’s only 6 – he shouldn’t be having kidney problems. Hang in there little man!

1. BenB says:

This is sad… I have a cat, Will, who strangely is a black and white cat looking a lot like Max here… He was also diagnosed with kidney problems to the point where he had lost weight down to 7 pounds. He was only 6 as well (a few months before 7).

The vets said it did not look good and gave him a month… that he would not gain weight back etc. It ended up he had a bad kidney infection on top of everything. Long story short, his kidney issues are still there but I have been giving him sub-q iv fluids two times a day, his weight is up to ~12 pounds and he is back to his old self.

I wish you luck! While the sub-q route is not for everyone, it has done the trick for me.

2. BenB says:

I should also note – I switched the food from IAMS/ Science Diet (not bad food!!!) to the Purina Vet formula NF for cats with poor kidney function.

3. dancre says:

I’ve been reading a lot about the sub-q stuff and it sounds promising. We should know more about his prognosis today. I’m glad to hear things are working out for Will.

4. BenB says:

How is Max doing? Did the fluids work?

Ben

5. dancre says:

Unforunately, the IV fluids weren’t able to do much. It looks like his kidneys are in really bad shape. He’s home now, but probably doesn’t have long :-(

6. 素人ライブチャット、無料ライブチャットが萌えて凄いライブチャット倶楽部で炎のライブチャット、そして素人で萌え。ライブチャット最前線だからライブチャット糾弾風呂具。萌え萌えライブチャットでぷるるんライブチャット。God bless.

7. BenB says:

I am sorry to hear that. I am sure you already looked into it, but I was told similar things and told them I wanted him to be put on meds just in case… It was at that point that at a later time they found he also had an infection that made his kidney issues worse. I had them give him IV fluids and they basically told me the same thing, that he was not responding. I only tell you this because I know I was heartbroken when I was told that, but thought it was worth a shot anyway to take the meds and then do the Sub-q. Wills numbers were something like 129 and 8.8 for the two kidney function levels… I guess I am just sharing in case there are more options. What are his numbers and is he still eating?

Again, I am really sorry to hear that… I also have found a good place to get supplies in case you end up trying the Sub-q route. The cost is basically 70 for 12 bags/ 60 days worth of supply which compared to buying them from the vet (at least here) quite cheap.

Ben

8. dancre says:

I’ve very sad to report that we put Max to sleep today. I was able to work from home Wednesday-Friday, so my wife and I were able to spend a lot of time with him. Putting him to sleep was a very tough decision. I miss him already. I really loved the little guy.

9. dancre says:

I wanted to point out a site that has a lot of great info on chronic renal failure in cats: http://felinecrf.org/. I found this site to be very helpful in dealing with this tough issue.

10. BenB says:

Dan,

I am really sorry to hear this, and wish you the best. I know it does not change the pain, but none the less, my thoughts are with you and your wife. It is amazing how little guys play such a big part in people’s lives.

Ben