My first patent!

Speaking of auto complete, I got my first patent! It’s some email address autocomplete stuff from my MacOE days. You can read it here if you have nothing better to do.

1. Corentin says:

Congratulations Dan!!! 🙂

2. M says:

Congratulations. Remember to post a picture of you patent cube 🙂

3. Ralph says:

Congratulations, Dan! This clearly shows us how innovative Microsoft is. You are such a genius, I mean, finally we have an example for a US patent from Microsoft that stands for a really innovative new idea! I hope you’ll be famous some day, you deserve your place in the history books as "the man who invented auto-completion".

4. Hurray! Another idiotic patent! Aren’t you people ashamed of contributing to the stiffling of innovation? Of making small software developers living in fear? When will the madness end?

Thank you for making this world a better place.

5. Diego says:

Someone needs to fix patents…

6. Dan Crevier says:

I’m sure you’ve seen how often Microsoft gets sued for this sort of thing. Getting patents is a great defensive strategy, no matter what you think of the patent process.

7. "Getting patents is a great defensive strategy, no matter what you think of the patent process."

If Microsoft was really interested in combating obvious "inventions" such as this one, it would lobby to correct the problem. Sorry, the "everyone’s doing it" defense is without merit.

As for you, Dan, congradulations on implementing the *feature*, but you should still be ashamed. You and your employer are abusing intellectual property laws to stifle competition.

Frivolous patents like this that don’t pass the smell test to professionals as to their non-obviousness are tatamount to fraud and lying to the federal government if the applicant is just trying to slide something under the door in the name of increasing their "defensive" patent portfolio. Just because the reviewers at the USPTO are too undertrained/overworked to understand software "innovation" doesn’t mean you should take advantage of it any more than someone should avoid taxes by faking business expenses just because the IRS doesn’t look closely enough at them.

8. Dan Crevier says:

Ok, this thread is closed. I don’t want to host a discussion on patents. I am not a lawyer. That said, I’m going to have the last word, because I can!

* Patents are written in legalese, not in english. Unless you are a patent lawyer, I don’t think you can really judge them. That’s why you see stories like Microsoft patenting the double-click or Apple patenting alpha compositing.

* This is not a patent for autocomplete. It is much more specific.

* We did innovate in this space in MacOE.

* Patents are a good defensive strategy for any company. We get sued all the time. Witness the current Eolas lawsuit.

* I think there are a lot of things that are lame about the patent system.