OMG. I can’t believe it’s over!

Well, unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that we finally signed off on VS 2005 and that it’s available now (or soon) to MSDN subscribers.  The “boxed” versions should be coming in just a few weeks, and i can’t wait to see what you think about it.  I was involved in many parts of the VS2005 release, including:

1. Working heavily on the C# IDE experience.   Primarily IntelliSense, but also in a myriad of other design time components

2. Working some on the C# compiler.

3. Working on creating the C# Express SKU.  I was heavily involved in piecing things together and helping with componentization so that we could sculpt vs into the lean and mean app that is C# express

So this is a huge release for me.  I wasn’t involved with 2k3 and so i don’t really feel strongly about that tool.  But with 2k5 you’re going to be using my code (potentially for hours upoin hours every day) and that’s a huge thing for me.  I’m feeling a rush of emotions right now like you wouldn’t believe.  Tons of excitement, but also a lot of fear.  Will you guys like what we’ve done?  Will you *love* it?  Will i be the one who introduced a bug that you’re going to be cursing out for months?  Who knows?!

Now, with teh release of Whidbey i can start setting my sites on Orcas.  As you’ve probably been able to tell, i’ve taken on a position of helping to craft what will eventually become the C# 3.0 language.  It’s my hope that as you all start using 2.0 day in and day out you can then work with us (and us with you) on trying to make 3.0 awesome.   Toward that goal i’ve already tried to be intimitely involved in the prototyping we’ve been doing.  If you’re tried out the Beta2 preview then you’re using code that i was actively involved with creating.  I’d like to talk about that a lot more at some point, but that will have to wait.  But for now, i wanted to let you know that we’ve updated the Linq preview bits to work with the RTM version of VS2005.  You can find the download for that on the linq page here:

I’m going to be very clear here: Do not run these bits on Beta2.  And do not run the Beta2 bits on RTM.  There were binary breaking changes and things will crash almost immediately 🙂

Normally we’d try to detect something like that so we could at least give a useful message to the user.  However, since 99% of our energy was focussed on Whidbey we simply couldn’t spare the time for such niceties.

Anyways, i hope you can get this stuff soon.  And when you do, let me know what you think!

1. Ron Buckton says:

Cyrus, I’m glad to hear that you’re working on C# 3.0. At PDC05 Anders shot down my sync/async language keyword idea from back when you asked about what you’d like to see in 3.0.

WRT LINQ I love the project and want to use it today. To that end I’ve been crafting a .NET 2.0 library i’ll be blogging about shortly (once we get our blogs to a production server) that provides a lot of the functionality in LINQ to .NET 2.0.

Out of the box it will support sequences over IEnumerable with a kind of currying feature that fakes extension methods. It will also create Expression Trees at runtime off of a delegate by parsing the MethodBody’s CIL. I’m hard at work getting something like XLINQ and DLINQ working in the library also. Keep up the good work on LINQ, I can’t wait for partial types and true "=>" lambdas.

2. Garry Trinder says:

I understand not mixing beta/RC bits, but what about side-by-side installation with 2003?

3. loc says:

I have felt the same emotion a couple times before.

And I will try really hard to find what sucks about 2k5, as you’ve told me to, so 2k7 will be better. I’ve asked help desk to download them tomorrow. Can we separately purchase the other stuff that come in the retail/boxed version?

4. loc says:

First expectations for Orcas are native 64-bit and specialized in multi-core.

What’s your take?

5. Saurabh Nandu says:

Congratulations on the ship! Don’t worry we will not ask Soma to put the "Share your Pain" (Video) chair for you if we find a bug 🙂

The way MSDN Subscribers section is being hosed right now, that’s good indication of how much we WANT VS2005!

6. Jonah says:

Congrats, Cyrus! The new IDE is fantastic.

7. AndrewSeven says:

I’ve enjoyed your blog a lot during the past year or so and I will continue to enjoy it.

I removing the Beta at this very moment

Congratulations on the Shipit 😀

8. Robert Kozak says:

Congrats Cyrus. I know exactly what you are feeling since I used to work for a development tools vendor.

The hardest part was working on an IDE months and almost up to a year before our customers and not being able to see them use it.

Get some rest but dont rest too hard. You just raised the bar and you need to raise it again with Orcas. 🙂

— Robert

9. CyrusN says:

Klaus: SxS with 2k3 should work fine. But beta2 and RTM will conflict.

10. CyrusN says:

Loc: "First expectations for Orcas are native 64-bit "

That would actually be very low on my list. The runtime is already native on 64bit, and i don’t see a lot of benefit with VS runnning native 64bit. Remember that on x64 vs really does run natively (despite being being 32bit). All that being true-64 means is that vs will be able to access terrabytes of memory. While that’s great for something like SQL server, you really do not want VS using that much.

11. Sean Chase says:

I was so excited for the RTM that I downloaded everything and started working with it for real instead of play-time beta…

Then I had a few minutes with Intellisense in Visual Studio 2005, and it is so slow I’m having to write some of my code in Notepad. 🙁

12. Steve says:

Maybe now someone can explain to me why Sharepoint Portal Server (not Team Services) will not be compatible with VS 2005…

The release of software of MS seems to exclude the intelligence of insuring their products that use .NET are included in the upgrades. More information and details need to be given regarding these products.

13. Troy Goode says:

Hi Cyrus, I have a quick Intellisense question for you. I just finished downloading and installing VS 2005 from MSDN earlier this week and have been LOVING it. I’ve found a very annoying IntelliSense "feature" that I’m sure pretty much every ASP.Net developer must have run in to, however, and cannot figure out for the life of me how to fix it.

When I start to write inline code (<% … %>) in an aspx or ascx I get as far as "<%" before Intellisense pops up and selects "<%@ Assembly" as the default value. Now if I type almost anything (a letter, number, equal sign, space) it then inserts "<%@ Assembly" into the code instead of what I wanted to type.

I have found no way to stop this from happening. I, instead, am either hitting ESC to back out of the popup or using the arrow keys to cancel the popup. Any help you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

14. I *love* the new interface, and the improved Intellisense.. now almost impossible to broke! =)

15. Well, unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that we finally signed off on VS 2005 and that it’s available now (or soon) to MSDN subscribers. The &quot;boxed&quot; versions should be coming in just a few weeks, and i can’t wait to see what you