What you wanted in the next version of C#

Quite a while back I sent out an informal survey to the C# blog readers out there asking what they’d like to see in the next version of C#.  The #1 request was to add Edit&Continue support for VS2005.  Well, I’m incredibly happy to say that that Soma‘s taken the lid off of this and we can now announce that this will be available when 2005 ships, and it will be enabled in the community preview drop next week.  There was some amazing work done here since the last release and the people who pulled it off absolutely blow my socks off.  The only one I know who currently has a blog up is Daigo, so if you have a chance go thank him 🙂

This was one of the first times I was aware of the focus of the team reacting to and incorporating the views of the community.  On the flipside of that, these blogs have been an attempt to allow us to give you a view of what it’s like working in here.  I’m hoping that together we’ll be able to make some pretty kick ass software over the coming months and years!

Edit: Here are more of the people on the C# team who pulled this off:

Jay: Dev lead for one of th eprimary EnC devs

Anson: PM who spec’ed it all out and lots lots more

1. Vince P says:

I’m still waiting for the bugs in VS2003 to be fixed.

2. Vince P says:

Oops wrong thread 🙂

3. Gorsh says:

<clapping mode="kermit">

Yaaaaaayyyy!

</clapping>

4. DrPizza says:

I want a class library whose design doesn’t make me cry.

5. DrPizza: So write one! 🙂

6. Ron says:

I’m shocked. Not that I didn’t think you guys were capable of doing this, but I really thought this would be pushed off until Orcas (and even then, I had my doubts it would be considered for implementation).

Please pass on my heartfelt thanks to the team.

7. Jeff Atwood says:

A winner is us!!1!

Now, as for that background compilation thing.. 😉

8. JavaKid says:

I want to thank you and Somasegar for pointing me to the MSDN Product Feedback Center. You guys are starting to provide exactly the kind of community I’ve been looking for.

I hope to be making several suggestions over the next couple of months, and I am glad that people are listening. There are so many opportunities for growth within Visual Studio .Net, hopefully by actively participating within the community Microsoft will listen and we can start to turn this already powerful IDE into a better one.

JavaKid.