OMG! 4pple iz TEH HUGE! + (P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-PowerBooks!!)

I just had a disturbing realization while talking to Mikey.  I was trying to convince him to buy me one of the new apple 30inch monitors, and he fine with that idea as long as I bought him one in return.  During the conversation about how sexy these things were (size does matter!), i noted that the new flatscreen was equivalent in size to 4 of our PowerBooks’ screens put together.  I mocked up an image to see what that was like and it blew my mind:

4 powerbooks vs. 30inchscreen

It really gives you a sense of how frigging huge these things are.  I’m hoping they’ll be available at Fry’s soon just so I can bask in their loving glow.

PS: Have you see how small the apple menu bar is at the top of that screen.  I’m hoping Tiger will have some facility for scaling up the UI so that you will actually be able to read and work with the regular screen widgets.  I’m guessing that the dock is scaled to the max in order to even get it to that level of usability.

1. fuzu says:

more like "OMG! 4pple iz TEH SEX!"

2. Daniel Jin says:

saw one in action when I went to CompUSA a while back. played around with it for 20 minutes. widescreen rulez!!! too bad I’m not a mac person, is there one for pc? wish I can afford something like this.

3. a_fag says:

No you didn’t, they were just announced this week.

4. Aaron A. Anderson says:

They have dual DVI inputs, does that still mean they’re Mac only?

5. Ryan says:

Only the 30" required the DDL DVI (which is part of the DVI standard, there is nothing precluding nVidia from taking their current mac-only 6800 DDL card and releasing it for PCs as well). All of the other displays only require a single DVI — they will work out of the box with PCs and Macs!

Buy away! 😉

6. Ryan says:

Just wait until you see them in person… I’m sitting across the hall from them at WWDC and, when they’re displaying a static picture, they look fake. In fact, I thought the displays at WWDC were mock-ups with printed pictures rather than working monitors until I saw the picture I was staring out fade transition to another. My jaw hit the floor. Bright, 100ppi, huge and bright.

7. Ryan says:

Oh, and wait until you see two 30" displays side-by-side. 😉 A couple of guys from Weta Digital stopped by and started drooling *drooling* over the setup. Almost 5′ diagonal feet of desktop real estate.

Last comment, I swear!

8. IanG: Nice article!! I enjoyed reading it. From the Avalon specs so far it certianly seems that all UI elements will be done with vectors not bitmaps, so scaling shouldn’t be a problem.

9. In theory, yes Avalon should offer a solution to this.

Then again, in theory it should be possible with OS X too, given that Quartz 2D is scalable…

The real issue is whether people actually use vectors in practice in their apps. Graphics designers are used to using bitmaps for all the widgets in applications today – this is why I mentioned the cultural aspects of the problem – Microsoft need to bring application developers with them here if scalability is going to work out in practice. (Which is also what Apple would need to do with their ISVs to support high dpi displays.)

I’m hopeful though. Microsoft seem to be pusing high-dpi support as a feature in Avalon, which is encouraging!

10. Ian: Yup. I defintely think that OSX _could_ do this, I’m just seeing no push in that direction . Of course, by the time LH ships apple might have gotten everyone onto this, which would be awesome.

I am very encouraged by the fact that right now all the avalon information seems to be centered around the idea that things should be vector based and you should only go down to bitmaps for things you can’t represent with vectors.

I’m confident that MS will work with ISVs like Adobe so that the tools that people are using for graphics design today will produce the right output to successfully leveral avalon technologies.