W00t. TV+Me = Do I have to go to work today?

Felt like upgrading my entertainment center today. Took off from work and went out to a local Magnolia Hi-Fi shop. Ended up getting the 43″ Samsung HLN437w box:

Unfortunately, my puny honda could not handle the load so I must wait for it to be delivered. Oh the agony of wait. Work will be quite unnerving tomorrow as i wonder to myself “is it there yet, is it there yet”.

Anyways, once it does arrive it will need to be properly broken in. We were thinking about watching The Rock (criterion collection), or The Matrix. Any films out there that you would suggest to awe us with the might of this new box? Movies that start with “The” get a plus in my book!

1. Alec Clews says:

Kill Bill.

KB1 looked good on TV, KB2 looked even better in the cinema.

2. Anon says:

THE return of THE king?

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon ?

Not KB, KB2 sucked.

3. AdrianJMartin says:

No a film( but connected )

The AniMatrix dvd

4. I would pass on the Matrix. It’s not as if we haven’t seen it 100 times (in the theatre, on HBO, on Shotime, etc, etc).

Personally, I think "The Rock" is an excellent choice. The Criterion Edition is very nice.

Sometimes, though, I think that I want to go the other way, and appreciate something that is subtly creepy and engaging. For this, I recommend "Memento".

I would recommend "The Seven Samurai", but unfortunately, it was filmed in 2:1 (or 3:1, or something close) aspect ratio, so you don’t get the benefit of the 16:9 aspect ratio you have.

I also think that "Spider-Man" is a good choice, as some of the views are quite grand (as well as the perspectives that they are presented in, due to the acrobatics of Spidey).

The most important question is, do you have a progressive scan DVD player with component outputs to take advantage of your HDTV?

5. D. Brian Ellis says:

Here’s a good one. Finding Nemo. The animation is amazing anyway. It’d look great on a brand new TV like that.

Brian

6. Steve Lydiatt says:

The Finding Nemo

7. Mahesh says:

How about Last of the Mohican’s ?? Not exactly new but terrific nonetheless.

8. Len Weaver says:

Is this your first wide screen television? If so, be prepared to be disappointed with most movies that shows sub-titles. When you play a movie that has sub-titles on a regular 3:4 screen the sub-titles appear on the black bar at the bottom of the screen (usually – see the two most recent star wars movies). On a wide screen television you will not see that black bar, hence you will not see the sub-titles. Very annoying.

9. Naginata says:

Any movie with large, large battles… Last Samurai, Braveheart, Glory, Gladiator…

And don’t forget DUNE.

10. matt says:

The Mothmen Prophecies

or Dog Soldiers (especially if like British army humour – tho this is a horror nontheless),

28 Days later (again a British modern classic)

or if you’re into the arty kinda film, Gerry.

11. Abubakar says:

Try "The Gladiator" and "2Fast2Furious"

12. Phil Scott says:

Can’t go wrong with, uh, The Ronin either.

13. The Godfather,

(the) Return of the Jedi,

Or just hook up the XBOX

14. Top Gun, Gone in 60 seconds

15. The Rock. No holds barred on of the best action films ever! Solid intense action. Well a nice big new TV is going to be one of my first purchases when I get up there to Redmond as well.

16. I have the same TV, but also purchased this DVD player:

<A href="http://www.samsung.com/Products/DVDPlayer/Hypervision/DVDPlayer_Hypervision_DVD_HD931.htm">Samsung Hypervision DVD-HD931</a>

It has the capability of outputting higher resolution then progressive scan DVD (1080i and 720p vs 480p).

The picture quality through the DVI cable is *incredible*.

It’s a little pricey compared with normal progressive DVD’s, but worth it.

17. rsnj says:

The Fifth Element (Superbit Collection)

The sound and the effects in this movie are amazing!!!

You need a good DTS surround system to fully enjoy this.

18. Robert Kozak says:

The Empire Strikes Back. 🙂

My Dad always used this when he set up a new sound system.

You know I wasn’t that impressed with A.I. But it is one of the films on my list to watch again when I get a big screen in the living room.

19. jaybaz [MS] says:

Turn the sharpness setting all the way down. Turn contrast way down, too.

To break in your screen, put it on broadcast TV for a day & come to work. We miss you.

The next day, put a DVD in on loop.

Continue such activities with a variety of media. Avoid things with a bright static image.

After 100 hours, adjust the convergence & borrow my Avia disk to tune the other settings.

20. jaybaz [MS] says:

Turn the sharpness setting all the way down. Turn contrast way down, too.

The next day, put a DVD in on loop.

21. Scot Boyd says:

The laboratory scene in Fifth Element is a MUST for checking out the glory of any new TV.

22. Leeloo Dallas Multipass!

23. Will Lotto says:

If you got a speaker set with it, Black Hawk Down, Top Gun, and Behind Enemy Lines are worth a look.

The audio in Black Hawk Down will blow your mind.

24. Random responses:

Kill Bill – Awesome. Got it and will watch it

The Return of the King. +2 for two ‘the’s. Don’t got it though. won’t have it until extended edition ships

CTHD: Bought it tonight. Will watch

KB2 didn’t suck 🙂

Animatrix rules. I was one of a lucky batch that got to see it in the theater during the last Seattle International Film Festival. That was an experience not to be missed.

Memento: I don’t think will wow me on the TV. But I can try.

Spider-man I’ve seen way to much (they played it on my college station all the time), and i’m not enthralled enough with it to want to watch again. Spidey2 looks amazing though.

Pixer = Joy

Last of the mohicans is worth it for the music going through my surround sound setup

Dune movies sucked 🙁 (well, the extende duber directors cut of the one with Patrick Steward in it was almost decent). Such a shame for my favorite book.

Gladiator is a must.

2Fast2Furious: Gag

Noah: Buy the criterion collection version of the rock and you can watch it here 😉

Fifth Element: mmmmmm yummy