Braces.

Wow, a bunch of recent comments on my first post after getting my braces.

So, I’ve had my braces for about four and a half months now.  I’ve had several followup appointments, the most recent one yesterday.  I had my first breakage on Boxing Day, when I bit into an olive at a party not realizing there was a pit in it – I cracked off one of my upper brackets, and since it was the holidays, I had to wait a week to get it repaired.

General thoughts – the braces rubbing raw spots on the inside of your mouth/cheeks mostly goes away, but not entirely – that’s what wax is for.  I recommend keeping some wax around, and some Orajel to kill the pain (and prevent the sore spot from becoming infected).

Getting the braces adjusted – it’s gonna hurt.  As someone else discovered, immediately after the braces are put on or adjusted, it only aches a little – it’s 6-8 hours later that it starts to REALLY ache, and it lasts for a variable amount of time, but usually a couple of days.  Take ibuprofen or some other painkiller if you need it.

I haven’t noticed any strange metallic taste while brushing my teeth – andrae, that sounds like your gums may be bleeding when you brush your teeth.

Tooth pain – hey, it’s gonna hurt whereever the teeth are moving around, so yeah, it will hurt on one side more than the other sometimes.

1. Kevin Daly says:

Don’t think of it as having braces, think of it as having your teeth contained within a "using" clause.

(Only makes sense, if at all, to C# programmers. I must be tired).

2. Jaeger says:

I’m going to assume your a huge simpsons fan… or so is my guess from that. Pretty sure I got it right, but I won’t spoil it for the rest…

*Hint* Ned Flanders says it

3. Jaeger says:

Apparently somehow my comment above got put onto this post instead of the one before about your new years resolutions….

4. cwilso says:

Yes!  We have a winner!

5. Braced says:

No pictures?  I’m getting them in a month’s time; see my blog at http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com.

6. rose says:

I read on the Archwired site that if you use a whitening toothpaste you can get that metallic taste in your mouth when you brush your teeth.  I do use a whitening toothpaste and I go notice the metallic taste at times.  I’ve had my braces on for about three weeks now.

7. Savanah says:

I just got braces on my bottom teeth yesterday…I had to get them to treat my TMJ…and all I can say is THIS SUCKS.

8. julia says:

do you have any advice for me before i get my braces next month

9. me says:

i have braces (for the second time…ughh) and i use whitening toothpaste because it keeps my teeth from looking a gross yellow color.  i have read somewhere though that you shouldnt use whitening toothpaste with braces because when you get them off, the place where the brackets were will be a different color.  do you think that there would be that much of a noticeable difference?

10. Tri-sha says:

I got my braces on this past thursday. Hello people, they are not that bad. I have been reading all these horror stories about braces and how much they pain, but I had no pain at all. Just a little soreness from the brackets, thats it. So chill, its not that bad….

11. aaaaa says:

tri-sha…your teeth were probably not as crooked as most people’s when they get braces.  they suck because theyre ugly, not so much the pain

12. Chriss says:

I Fractured my jaw 11 years ago,and as iv always woke up with aching in my jaw and stiffness,Its gotten worse in the last year and now im suffering from ear aches,clicking in my jaw when opening and closing and also everytime i swollow the clicking (echos in my ears and there for i thought it was a major ear infection many drs i went to put it down to depression). my head and neck aches,feeling stuffness in the ears and nose, and all this has been everyday all day for the last year,and i also get very disoreinated,i’v seen two professors that recommened me to see a orthodontist so i went and seen one and he recommends me getting braces to correct my bite.Dose anyone know if this will help?Or have any idea what id be going threw if i do get them? i dont want to spend all this money on something that wont help me.Any advice will be highly appreciated. thank you.

13. suma says:

will braces help my TMJ problems? Also once TMJ Fixed dose the anxiety go away with it?

14. akira durden says:

i’m getting braces i just need an advice.

15. Olivia says:

I’nm getting braces in a month, and I’m not looking forward to it. Are they really bad? I really hope not.

I have to get bottom, top and rubber bands for a year and a half. This sucks.

16. Chrissie says:

I got my braces on a week ago all though they do suck there not that bad,,,Not as bad as ppl make out they are,Sure for the first week they ache and sensitive but im use to them already.The bad fall about them is i hate eating with them on and wont eat out in public,food gets stuck in there at all kinds of directions,But No really there ok…I have huge wisdom teeth problems right now and having braces on and having my wisdom teeth play up like hell is a pain in the butt,i am taking all 4 wisdom teeth out next week,can anyone tell me wat its like to be put under for wisdom teeth removal?im so scared,i DONT KNOW why they didnt take them out before they put the braces on…

17. Jackie says:

I did get ceramic braces on m upper teeth and metallic on the lower last month and also in my 30ths and doing web stuff – the first week was heel – I went on a forced diet and lost 4 pounds.

Today I noticed that my ceramic braces were strained on the bands that hold the wire. My next appointment in two week and I hope they will be cleaned up well.

18. Jullan says:

Got braces and greater than 50.

wanted a different look as I aged.

This is pure hell having that darn wire

in your mouth all the time. Got a sensitive

mouth and it feel I have a darn silver spoon in my mouth all the time. This is no fun. AM nauseous from the metallic taste so I eat all day to combat the nausea…Yeah you are right…have gained weight.  Feel like taking them off myself…Don’t know how much longer I can stand this. Too old for this trauma..too expensive to be uncomfortable ….Help Me…

19. mandi.B says:

Well,

they have been telling me for years now that I’m gonna get braces, im gonna get braces… well its actually happening now. On July 17, 2007. I am so ecited to get them on and off. Im not excited about having them. I’m scared about how I will look. Did you look alot differnt? I have got about 30 days to go.. im counting down….. If you have any tips or info for me about braces and how to keep them up and… just anything I may need to know… PLEASE email me. mander_chick09@hotmail.com

I would SO appriciate any help. Thanks!

-amanda ( 15 )

20. mandi.B says:

oh and by thw way.. i check out some of your pics… they are So good. I love photography. You can check out my pics on myspace if you want.( they are under "photography" ) well.. thanks agian…

-amanda

21. Melissa Barto says:

Hi Chris. I like that your blogging about your braces experience. May I ask what kind of braces you have?

22. shelby says:

I’m going to get my braces soon and i nnnneeeeddd advice!!!!!!!

23. Chriss says:

Hi melissa,, I have ceremic braces,I got the clear up top and the pink down bottom 🙂 there cute,,, are you getting braces???

24. Irek Wojdylo says:

Quite unlucky accident mate. Hope you got’em fixed by now ;). I assume it is because of still too low durability of the materials the braces are made of . If the standards rise, so will the time you take advantage of them. Talking ’bout standards (to the Polish readers), if you are interested in web standards and accessibility don’t hesitate to visit my site http://www.t4tw.info.

25. RV says:

Geeez- sounds like a pain. I think I’ll just stick with my ugly crooked teeth!

26. michelle says:

my son had braces a couple of years ago. he had to have 4 teeth removed so that there would be room. he had the braces on for your typical year and half or so. my beef is that because he didn’t wear his retainer as much as he should have, his teeth are now back to where they were. very disappointed. do i have pay antoher 5000 for a second time set of braces, or is there something else i can do? i’d love some advice.

27. Seo says:

Thanks for your interesting post. It was really helpful for me.

28. Erin says:

I was also wondering about whitening toothpaste.  I heard that you shouldn’t use it only because the spots where your braces used to be will be darker than the rest of your teeth.  What do you guys think?

29. Tara says:

i’m getting a mouth expander tomorrow and braces soon after that. even though i can’t judge because i haven’t had braces, but they’re not bad. ppl keep on fusing about them like it’s rocket science or something. sure they might be WAY UGLY but as soon as your braces are put on, the sooner your teeth will become straight. my teeth are really x100 bad. and my jaw is pushed down abit to far. my teeth need alot of work and i’m willing to take that. braces are a fashion statement i guess…but it doesn’t change you or your personality. honestly i’m excited about getting braces. sooner the better. straight teeth here i come!

30. Emma says:

Ive had my brace in for 3 days, think i am over the worst of the cuts inside my mouth and have not experienced much actual movement pain, not yet anyway!!  Speaking is difficult, i have a metalic taste, i am sucking mash mallows to combat that!!  I hate them immensly but hoping to achieve a wider smile, as my jaw arches are quite small and narrow.  Eating is a big problem, i have been on soup, baby food, yogurt and slim fast.  I took 30 mins to eat a banana!!…I tried to bite a sandwich but it felt so strange and not only that it stuck to every single bracket.  When will i be able to eat normally?? or do i accept its a liquid diet for the next 18 months.

31. Thanks for very interesting article. I really enjoyed reading all of your posts.

It’s interesting to read ideas, and observations from someone else’s

point of view… makes you think more. So please keep up the great work.

Greetings from Gdynia, Poland

32. Michelle :) says:

well, i’ve had my bracs for about two years and i’m finally getting them off in a couple of weeks, everyone have pretty much told you everything, but i think they’re a painnnnnnn!

and when you first get them its hard to eat, and for me everytime they were tightened it would hurt for a few days. but then again its allllllll going to be worth it when you get them offf 🙂

33. Kelly says:

Ive had braces for 6 months now. The pain I can handle.I had to get 4 teeth pulled out and 4 wisdom teeth pulled out. So that means 8!! in one go. It was excruciating. Im hoping to get them off early. Its looking pretty good. Just some gaps to fill in now. But yeah, it was hard getting use to the new look. But you just have to get over it,remember its for a good good result and live.

34. Marc says:

8 teeth directly? But i know these pains, i have had braces for about 3 1/2 months, so that 4 teeth must be pulled out, but now it is getting better and better.

35. Kelly says:

Hey Marc,

Hows it been with the braces?

Yeap, 8 teeth in one day! crazy huh

I can tell you my face was as big as a pumpkin and it took more than a wk for my face to recover, and about a month for the pains inside to heal.

36. bilgi yarışması says:

37. Vista Tweaks says:

38. LFERC says:

39. Webdesign says:

40. bilgi yarışması says:

41. Den says:

I have braces with clear brackets and have noticed that the front bands that are connecting the brackets to the wire are turning dark – I assume from drinking coffee.  Help!  Any suggestions?  Is there a whitener I could use?  I have started drinking coffee with s straw.  Any advice?  I cannot give up coffee for the duration of my ortho treatment.

42. braceschick says:

I have had braces on since.. I can’t really remember i think i got them on in may 2007. I am 18 next week. I don’t even notice my braces most the time, occasionally there will be rubbing etc. but most the time they are fine. I got my top braces on about 5 months before the top one’s because I have a sever over bite. I have been really happy with my ortodontist. I think the service has been great and I rarely even notice I have braces on, there are too many people making braces sound scarey, they are honestly fine!

43. LadyLee says:

I enjoyed reading this thread about everyones’ opinion on braces. I’m in the process of getting braces myself and I needed some info. Last friday I got my x-rays/photographs done and from what I see, I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth (the 2 on the bottom are more at a horizontal angle than of the 2 on top). I haven’t gotten an evaluation from my orthdontist yet about the situation until my next visit, but judging from this thread and other research I believe that I would need to get them removed. Anyway I hope this thread would be an "on-going" one, because it’s nice to hear feedback on ppl who have been through it all (…and those of you who currently are).

44. Chyna says:

I am getting mt braces on Feb 27th,, I had to make valentines day go by.(lol).I’m excited to get them on , I’m in college full-time and a single mother. I have always smiled witha closed mouth, but i would like to have alignment with my teeth and no GAP!!!!!!!…I have a presentation to do and i have to speak in front of 60 -80 people the morning after i get them on, I just want to know will I be in more pain that morning? I’m scared……:)

45. NK says:

I’m 28 and had braces when I was younger but have had some wisdom teeth issues, and think it may be worth my while to have them corrected again, I just want to look stupid with braces on at 28 what do you think?

46. NK says:

In response to the last comment from Lady Lee about the wisom teeth, …make sure those are yarded out before doing anything with braces.  I had the same issue, and they never mentioned anything about it, and then I got them and they crowded everything else out.  The whole thing wasn’t worthwhile, now I have to get braces again to correct it.

47. NK says:

correction forgot to add the word don’t 🙁

48. Hosting says:

Goog post. It was really helpful for me.

49. Cigdem says:

thanks banada beklerim vizyondaki filmler http://sinematurkey.blogcu.com/

50. Kelly says:

28 with braces.

I think it all really depends on you at the end of the day.How much does it effect you. Some get them at 30 some even in there 40’s.Its not so much what others think, but really ur own point of view. I was really insecure with getting braces in the beginning, it still catches up on me now and then, but most of the time Im to busy working to think of it.

51. Juegos says:

Interesting article, thanks for all

52. Diseño web says:

braces are terrible, i still remember when i was young.

53. beth says:

I got my lingual braces yesterday.  My mouth is sore and it hurts my tongue.  I am in my 40’s so I didn’t want the braces on the outside of my teeth.  Today is day 2 and I am having a hard time speaking and eating.  Hopefully, the wax that they provided will help.  I am hopeful that day 3 will be better!

54. beth says:

55. joslie says:

ineed braces ya’ll think they bat they aint so whta are you fdrontin wit there better than having crooked teeth i want tem so badly it’s not even funny i cant wait till i get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

56. Kelly says:

I got my braces on two days ago and they hurt terribly yesterday! The inside of my mouth was all scraped up and my teeth ached. But I just take some tylenol and it seems to help. i can’t wait to see the end result in 18 months! i tried the wax and it does actually help! i just find it annoying to scrape out of your brackets. plus you have to take it out every time you brush. i will say it does hurt alot in the morning. probably because i roll around and sleep on my side. im thinking of using like saran wrap or something over my teeth at night. hopefully ill get used to it. im 16 btw and im paying for half my bill. my grandparents didn’t think i needed it but i still want to make my appearance even better before i turn 18. it is extremely wierd to eat! i hate feeling the food squish around the wire. yuck. tonight im also gonna try some oragel on the scrapes in my mouth. it really sucks and yesterday i wished i could just yank these darn things out. but im gonna suffer through because i want the end result of a beautiful smile!

57. Jake says:

The only thing I’ve started to like about my braces are the red, white and blue bands and my platypus flossers.  I don’t have to thread anymore and I guess that’s a plus!

58. cj says:

i am gettinn braces this wednesday and i am a bit nervous. i keep gattin told that it doesn’t hurt. if u r gettin braces don’t think negative, think positive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. Will says:

I use to get food stuck in my braces all of the time.  I had to stop eating popcorn and some other food I really like.  I tried threading, the little brushes etc…  It was miserable!  Yesterday I tried the platypus flosser from platypusco and it is so EASY!  Anyone who’s had the same experience should give it a try.

60. medyum says:

thanks very good

61. Medyum says:

62. medyum says:

63. Interesting article, very good

Thanks.

64. Diseño web says:

What about ceramic braces? they are good or not? thanks

65. Hooverdank says:

Anyone who says braces hurt really bad are big fat pussys because they dont just eat mashpotatos and macaronni its so simple dont be a fatass and start attacking the food like you usally do just take it easy big girl and thell be fine