IE re-downloading background images

Quick post – at the Ajax Experience conference, someone mentioned to me that IE was downloading background images multiple times if they were referenced in the stylesheets multiple times.  I checked with the team, and they confirmed that they did address this problem in IE7, and it should be fixed (they tried reproducing it multiple different ways to be sure).  Unfortunately, I forgot to get the name of the person who mentioned this to me – so if you’re out there, this is fixed, and thanks for the feedback.

-C

1. Adam Simpson says:

We love CSS fixes and improved CSS support!  Thanks!

2. Richard York says:

Just FYI, I think that has usually been called the Flicker bug.

3. steve_web says:

Again, not sure who exactly informed you of this, but I first heard about this on Mishoo here:

from November, 2004.

The uhm… tone of the article tends to vent some of the frustration of developers on this one.  On the performance angle, it just doesn’t make sense to not pull it out of the cache, but on the "conspiracy theory" angle, it does provoke questions of "why" it was done this way in the first place.

Cheers,

steve

4. Dan POPA says:

There’s a javascript workaround for this and it works in IE6 since SP1:

try {

//works since IE6SP1

doument.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false, true)

} catch(acold) {/*many will complain, just ignore*/}

Check my blog for more details:

I wonder: are there not wanted (not known) side effects of this command?

Regards,

Mr.Pixel

5. Vijay says:

Dan Popa:

Your Script works great except the typo, "document" was typed as "doument" on Line3. Should like below and works well.

try {

//works since IE6SP1

document.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false, true)

} catch(acold) {/*many will complain, just ignore*/}

Rama.

6. Exchange says:

Thank for this code, i help me to re-downloading bacground image from IE, but i don’t if it work under Firefox.

7. markovich says:

8. Webdesign says:

from November, 2004.

9. Vista says:

10. Webhosting says:

Just FYI, I think that has usually been called the Flicker bug.

11. Meubel says:

htThere’s a javascript workaround for this and it works in IE6 since SP1:

try {

//works since IE6SP1

doument.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false, true)

} catch(acold) {/*many will complain, just ignore*/}

Check my blog for more details:

I wonder: are there not wanted (not known) side effects of this command?

Regards,

Mr.Pixel

12. asilonline says:

There’s a javascript workaround for this and it works in IE6 since SP1:

try {

//works since IE6SP1

doument.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false, true)

} catch(acold) {/*many will complain, just ignore*/}

Check my blog for more details:

13. bilgi yarışması says:

14. Thank for this code,but i help me to re-downloading bacground image from IE, but i don’t if it work under Firefox.

15. Your Script works great except the typo, "document" was typed as "doument" on Line3.

16. medyum says:

17. Just FYI, I think that has usually been called the Flicker bug.

18. medyum says:

Dan Popa:

try {

//works since IE6SP1

document.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false, true)

} catch(acold) {/*many will complain, just ignore*/}

Rama.

19. hikaye says:

20. Architect CV says:

To say i have stopped using IE , i just rely on Google chrome for translation and search and Mozilla browser to open bank and e-commerce web sites..

<a href="http://www.samplecvs.org/…/architect-cv-2.html">Architect CV</a>