Chris goes back to junior high school…

No, this ISN’T a post about IE, web standards, or me being childish about the trolls.

I’m getting braces on my teeth.  Sigh.  At 36.

In short – my teeth are wearing heavily because I have an incorrect bite, and I’ve always disliked the diastema (gap) between my two front teeth (hereditary – thanks Mom! :)) anyway, which has been widening in recent years – so I finally decided to do something about it.  As of this coming Tuesday, I’ll have braces for 18 months or so.  Then, my wife tells me, I’ll have to learn to smile with my mouth open.

Hopefully, I’ll have re-learned to talk properly so I won’t disappoint when speaking at Webmaster Jam Session in Dallas or Fundamentos Web 2006 in Oviedo, Asturias, Spain.

1. I have no doubt in my mind that momentarily this post will be somehow interpreted as another indication of evil Microsoft doing.

2. cwilso says:

Snort.  I expect so.

I’ve also been letting my moustache grow since I was on vacation – giving me what one of my team members calls the "Evil Chris" look.  I may need to shave before my next public appearance.  🙂

3. Jerry Mead says:

What’s next? Fix the teeth, have a shave … and then give in completely to the "perhaps I really ought to grow up now" meme and get the hair cut.

At which point those on your team who obtain their ‘cool’ by vicarious association with your image get all confused and resentful, your Mum looks at you slightly sideways and asks "Is everything *really* all right?", and you daughter cries next time you pick her up.

Slippery slope …

4. cwilso says:

Don’t worry, the hair’s not about to go.  I’ll get dreadlocks before it gets cut short (at which point I’ll HAVE to cut it short if I don’t want dreads any more, of course).

5. AlastairC says:

Don’t worry about it, I went through that at the age of 27. (Most frustrating, having done it at 14 already.)

I felt like a social leper, all my friends were walking on egg-shells about it, until I met up with one of my best friends (who didn’t know), and he burst out laughing. Mental ice was broken, and after that everything was fine 🙂

-Alastair

6. AlastairC says:

Oh, I would give it a week of talking before doing a public talk though, your motor-skills have to update a bit.

7. This is a serious question for you, which I don’t really expect to get answered but anyway here goes: Why don’t you remove your existing teeth and use mozilla or webkit teeth instead? No seriously, it could work. You would benefit from more standard compliant teeth that are maintained by someone else. Diastemae would get closed up faster. You would probably get a lot of respect from the dental community. Yes there are hurdles to this strategy, but none which are insurmountable.

(Inspired by http://blogs.msdn.com/cwilso/archive/2006/08/16/703093.aspx#707204 🙂

8. cwilso says:

Nick, you rock.  Thanks for an out-loud laugh.

9. David Joseph says:

🙂 Very good Nick and Good luck with Teeth Chris although shouldn’t you have waited till Christmas (like the song?)

10. Glad you liked it, Chris. I just hope you don’t remember it and laugh out loud when they’ve got the heavy machinery in your mouth…

11. Photos for the event are being posted on my flickr account. You can find the link to my photos at http://www.TheAgencyBlog.com.

Podcasts will be posted at either http://www.MediaSwamp.com or http://www.QuesoCompuesto.com (location depends on the content of the session).

The photos are open source! Use at will…just throw me some link love 🙂

enjoy!