Image Resizer for Vista (and XP) – Just a right click away from Explorer.

You can download the resizer here.

I don’t know about you, but I am sorely missing the XP toy for image resizing. Windows XP had its power-toys, but Vista does not. And while some functionality has been baked into the shell, explorer right-click has not. On top of that, a feature I have been wanting for a while was also missing from the Power Toys (Copy Picture to clipboard).

Because of that, I created an Image Resizer app that is tailored to what I need.. For the purpose of this post, I shall use my daughter in the capacity of a lolcat.

Right-clicking on an image (or a group of images) will bring up an extra two options – “Copy Picture” and “Prish Resizer”. Selecting the Resizer option will bring up a dialog:

The options should be self-explaining, but if they are not:

Place files in a folder called Resized: This will create a folder called resize in the location of the image and create the resized one in that folder.

Add to the name of the file: Will add the image resize option to the name of the image.

Overwrite the files: Will delete the original image and replace it with the resized one. Since this is a dangerous option, you need to specify that you really want to overwrite files (at the bottom).

Other: Allows you to specify a folder to place the files in.

The size options (1024 pixels, 800 pixels) etc regard the longest dimension of your image. So, resizing two images with the sizes of 2592×1944 and 1944×2492 will resize them to 1024×768 and 768×1024 respectively.

Clicking the Resize button will go over all the images and resize them.

The second option allows you to copy the image directly from explorer to the clipboard:

This way, you can copy & paste directly from explorer w/o having to go through file menus of your application.

1. I’ve been on a search to find a simple solution for the missing Windows Image Resizer Powertoy

2. henrik says:

would have been extremely useful if it had says I have to set defaults before resizing, even though I have done that thousands of times already..and if I try to resize manually from within the dialog, I only get an error saying "Failed to resize image blah blah.." 🙁

please let me know if you fix this..until then, i’ll try out the vso image resizer

3. Shahar Prish says:

You are the second person to report this. Can you give me some more information please? What OS are you using?

There are two problems here that may be related. The more interesting one right now is the failure to resize an image. Can you send me the image you want to resize?

4. biru says:

I am having a similar problem. I am getting an error saying that the default settings need to be set, but after I do, it resizes the images. however, I have to set the defaults every time.

5. Shahar Prish says:

Okay – can you contact me via the "Contact Me" link on the blog? I will send you back a binary that will help figure out why this is not working.

6. Jochem (NL) says:

Great, just what I was looking for, thanx!

Feature request: add custom-size to the context-menu (use the value that was set to default in the custom-box erlier). Comes in handy for frequently used forums which might accept 585 pixels or so.

7. George Gray says:

Dude!  You are THE master.  This little addin works great! Far better than old resize tool.

Thanks for this!

8. JBrooks says:

Excellent work.  Thanks so much for sharing!!

9. We are an NGO that is constantly using photos for internet and media purposes and I have dearly missed the right-click funtions of the XP when it comes to the sizing of the photos.  This add-on is the greatest gift for Vista I have found so far and it hasn’t come from Microsoft!  Thank you!  Truly!  Thank you for being willing to share!

10. Shahar Prish says:

Well, to be fair, I do work for Microsoft, and this is a Microsoft site. 🙂

11. Ron Kolin says:

I am using picture resiser, and no problem. This is program very simply.

12. Shahar Prish says:

Looks like a nice piece of software – looks like it has more options than this one too. It also costs $20 where this does not.

13. Force9Storm says:

Didn’t work 1st time I installed – I installed for me only.

When I installed for all users it worked.

14. Alex Karasev says:

Thanks for the useful tool. Here’s what I would like to see (feature request):

I’d like your resizer to run automatically in the background as a service, pre-configured with the source directory/folder for new files (i’d like to be able to specify maybe up to 3 source folders for thumbnailer to "watch"), thumbnail directory (if not same as source), and destination directory to which optionally to move original files, whose resized thumbnails have been created by your tool. Thumbnail and destination could be the same directory if the user chooses.

Ideally, I’d like the option (e.g. radio button-enabled, by day, by month or none) of this tool also organizing the processed source images and thumbnails into the subdirectories of the user-specified "processed original" and "thumbnails" folders by date, e.g. YYYY-MM-DD, or month (YYYY-MM). The date info should come from images’ EXIF files.

Separately I’d like to be able to specify more than one file (e.g. a large file for my photos online, say 800 pixels greater dimension, plus a thumbnail with 160 pix greater dimension).

Lastly I’d like to be able to specify higher jpeg quality for the small thumbnails (i.e. 4:4:4 subsampling, none, and low compression). Optional extra sharpening for the thumbnails? Up to you 🙂

Use case:

* Specify 1st source folder, E:/DCIM/MISC (my digicam; the tool should expect not generate errors when there’s no "E:" drive i.e. digicam is not connected; it should acticate when the source folder shows up.

– Specify C:/My Documents/My Pictures/Orig/ as the place to move the orig. files to from the source.

– Select "watch folder" / background or service mode. (i.e. the tool starts when Windows starts)

– Specify "Move" originals (other options are "Copy", "Leave in place")

– Specify "tada.wav" when done with processing all files in a source folder.

– Select checkbox to send an eject command to the source foldfer’s drive (if it’s identified as removable or crudely if its letter > D)

* Specify 1st resize destination:

– Select 800px greater dimension, no post-resize sharpening, 4:4:2 sampling and 95% compression quality for the resized pix.

– Specify C:/Shared Documents/Shared Pictures/My Site/Upload/ as the place where the thumbnails are generated.

* Specify 2nd resize destination: Select 180px greater dimension, 25% post-resize sharpening, 4:4:$ sampling and 99% compression quality for the thumbnails.

– Specify same destination folder as above; append "_thmb" file suffix after the name and before ".jpg" extension.

Thanks !

Alex Karasev

15. I’ve been playing with some newer web tools lately, including some blog/CMS software (which I’ll write

16. I've been playing with some newer web tools lately, including some blog/CMS software (which I'll

17. Mark. says:

You is da man….. great piece of work…..

18. TomBR says:

This is what i’ve been looking for since updating from XP and losing the image resizer powertoy. Thanks.

However, I’ve noticed that the quality of images reduced from large (10MP) photos down to 800×600 is poor compared to the XP version – very jagged, and not nearly as smooth as they are when done reduced manually in photoshop or other photo apps.

Is this something you’re aware of, and any plans to fix it?

19. Adam says:

I found the error, because I get an error saying "Failed to resize image"…

If the name of the directory is not an english name (so it contains characters of other languages, like á,é,ö,ü,ő,ű from hungarian) it never works, but if the name of the directory is english it always works.

20. todd says:

right-click/context menu not working on vista64 here set to all users on install.. tried a couple times.. gotta have it like the old powertoy or don’t want it.. thanks for the efforts though!

21. al says:

This works perfectly with Vista on my Compaq laptop. Thank You.

22. Steve says:

Thanks works great with Vista. Great Job.

23. tronics says:

Can you send me the source to tronics AT

I will enhance this great tool with additional features and send it back to you!

24. Jason Helm says:

is there a working 64 bit version of this tool?  the 32 bit worked great but i have now moved on to 64 bit and would really love to use this.

25. james winter says:

thanks. a most excellent app, and something I’ve really missed since moving from XP to Vista.  I use it frequently and its easy to use and reliable. you da man.

26. elmoono says:

Vista issue: when in a photo folder having image resizer installs stops the slideshow button from working on 32bit vista os’s.

27. Vinnie says:

Great add-on for Vista.  The only thing that I needed was the ability to specify the compression percent or resulting image quality for JPGs.  The resulting image quality was coming out fairly blurry compared to other resizing apps when taking the image to the same size.

28. says:

Once you install it, Vista SLIDESHOW button will stop working….   just google "vista slideshow not working anymore" and you’ll see ton of people who installed this program..   fortunately if you deinstall it it works again.

However that BUG REAAAALY SUCKS… I rather have slideshow then resize…  can you fix that issue?

29. Spence Hackney says:

I would love to see the Vista x64 version of the tool as well!

30. Andy says:

Please fix this so it will work with Vista 64 Thanks.

31. Cbuck says:

Hi.  With respect to the Vista Slideshow not working, there is an easy fix using Windows Photo Gallery.  Open your folder containing the photos you wish to view in that manner but rather than clicking the slideshow button up on the bar, click the photo itself and open it.  Then go to bottom of the larger view in WPG, and click the center button.  Your slideshow will now play.  (Hover over the button and it reads "play slide show".  Regards

32. Swedish says:

Great work with the resizer, I use it frequently. I do have a problem tough. Images that contains one of the swedish letters å ä ö Å Ä Ö can’t be rezised (the error-dialog replaces the letters with squares). This applies to pictures within directories that contains thoose swedish letters. Should appriciate alot if you could take a look into the problem.

Thanks in advance!

33. Jerry Lott says:

have you provided the fix for 64bit version yet?

34. Mike says:

Does not work with Vista x64.

Would love a 64bit version or fix!

35. Mike says:

until a 64bit version is completed this works with Vista 64

36. NT says:

Real cool, easy to use and works well. Thank you!

37. Karin says:

I just moved to a Vista 64 machine and am tearing my hair out over a resizer….. please make it work for 64 bit Vista, too, pllllleeeeaaasssseeee !!!!!!

38. ganbu says:

I’d like to try this out, but I’ve had my hopes dashed so many times with other "perfect solutions" to resizing tools that I’m reluctant without being sure it can be uninstalled if I don’t like it.

I’ve tried it in sandbox but doesn’t work in there; but also doesn’t seem to have an uninstaller.

If I try this in the ‘real world’ and don’t like it, how would I uninstall it and clear the explorer right-click items added?

39. ganbu says:

Oops. my bad.  It *does* work within the sandbox.  Apologies for that.

And it seems to work very nicely too 🙂

However, it would still be nice to be sure it can be easily uninstalled in the future?

40. Nangilsuvai says:

Thank a Lot for this wonderful Creation…..

I was searching for this Powertoy for a long days…..

Anyway thanks….

41. Andrew Littleton says:

Would be Nice if you could assign the Context Menu option an image like other programs do – winzip, poweriso etc

Other than that the Program is fantastic – should have been included in Vista as a default option

42. Roger L. says:

I just bought a new PC running Vista and have been looking for the PowerTool we had in XP.  Was not sure if I should wait for a Power Tool Kit for Vista or use your tool…

Even when Microsoft release an image resizer, I will keep yours, it works better than MS’s one….

Many thanks!

43. Dave says:

I passed this app on to a friend of mine, and, while the program installs on her Vista32 machine, it does not appear on the context-sensitive menu when she right-clicks an image file.

Any ideas?

44. Dave says:

Never mind. I just found out that she has Vista64.

45. jsdemille says:

All I can say is AWESOME!! I missed Powertoys so much I regreted getting a new computer with vista. I’ve searched for something else, but have hated them all. This is the closest thing I’ve come across to compare. Thanks so much.

46. Max says:

I don’t know if someone else had ths problem. But the program refuses to convert files that lies in a folder which name is containing å,ä or ö.

And is it possible to save a custom resolution for the quick pick menu?

Other than that, a kickass program:D

47. Charlie says:

There is another Image Resizer Clone made for Windows Vista that operates the way the Microsoft Power Toy Image Resizer for Windows XP did.

Click Here to DownLoad Vista Image Resizer Clone

Click Here for Screen Shots

Click Here to View a Demo on YouTube:

Click Here for an Alternate Place to DownLoad from:

48. Philip says:

You are the man. Thanks a ton!!

49. Myriam says:

many, many thanks Sharar for the resizing tool!!

I missed the feature of XP very much as I was using it dayly and was very disappointed missing it in Vista that came with my new computer.

50. Charlee Roc says:

Works great and easy to use, great feebee!  Thanks

51. Frank says:

Great program.

On XP, microsoft’s powertools resizer didn’t work anymore, couldn’t solve the problem.

On my new Vista PC, i realy missed it because there’s no microsoft resizer at all.

This one works even better and more user friendly

52. Edward says:

Great program. Easy to use and good amount of options.  Works perfect on Vista x64!

53. JP Brown says:

This is awesome.  The only think that’s missing (IMO) is the ability to nominate the format of the resized image.  At the moment is you are resizing a tif, you end up with a smaller tif.  I would like to be able to take a tif and get a resized jpeg.  I know this wasn’t in the original PowerToy, just would be mighty useful.

54. dee says:

this is great! i know what you mean by missing the power toys, i hated vista because of it. hehehe.. but thatnk you very much for this! great work!

55. Freedom says:

Use this link for a free image resizer. Or you can buy a license for $14.99.

56. Leyland says:

Thanks for adding this to the www, it works a treat, you are a star, wife of Tony Leyland

57. REDEF says:

Thanks for your app, it works great! MS should hire you!

58. Norm says:

I downloaded and installed the app(after I had to install the 100Mb download of the .NET install).

The only app listed in the program group is the Hand Mirror app.

When I try to run it on a folder, I get the following error

Unhandled exception gas occurreed in your application …..

Attempted to divided by zero.

The details are below.

Any ideas?

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.DivideByZeroException: Attempted to divide by zero.

at ImageResizer.HandMirrorForm.fileScanWorker_RunWorkerCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

Assembly Version:

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

Assembly Version: 1.0.2519.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.2519.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/

Assembly Version:

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/

Assembly Version:

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/

Assembly Version:

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/

Assembly Version:

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/

Assembly Version:

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

For example:

< jitDebugging="true" />

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

59. MikeG says:

I haven'[t even downloaded it yet, but I want to say –>  Shahar, that is one really cute little kid!!!  I’m sure you’re very proud of her.  :0)

60. Jim Van says:

Why does it keep trying to establish a TCP connection?

And how do I completely uninstall it?

61. Jim Van says:

Okay, I finally got it to work with Vista 64bit. It wasn’t taking my Default setting but then it did.

It kept trying to establish a TCP connection but I simply blocked it from doing so using my firewall setting and it still seems to work fine.

Why is it trying to establish a TCP connection?

62. Jim Van says:

Oh, yeah, and THANKS FOR THIS great little utility!

63. Shahar Prish says:

It checks for new versions so it can notify you.

64. Jim Van says:

Thanks for that info. It would be nice if it gave you the * option * to check for updates, I hate my computer accessing the net when I don’t know what for. I’d rather check for updates myself, manually if I need to.

But in any case, I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, just making a suggestion!

Great program and I’m very glad to have found it. Thanks again!

65. Bas says:

The Dogs Bollox as we say here (Absolutely brilliant)

It even auto adapts on rotated pics

So much better than VSO

Is it ok to hotlink your work from my page …the word needs to be spread on this one

And it works great in windows 7 to

66. Shahar Prish says:

Yes. Feel free to link to this though I would link to the place the tool moved to.

67. Worked very well for me, neat job with the option to put the resized images in a folder.

many thanks

68. Niu Gon says:

Hi! Since I changed my pc/xp to a new one with Vista I’ve been missing PowerToy Resize Picture. Well, not anymore. I’m happier now. I think I don’t exagerate when I say you make the world much more beautiful. Thank you, very much.

69. Ximena says:

Thanks! Just what i needed. By the way, your daughter is gorgeus and funny….

70. Gillian says:

Thank you for sharing. It’s people like you that make the world an easier place for the rest of us!!

71. Gabriele says:

Great app, i was looking for this since I got vista. Thank you very much for sharing.

72. Thomas says:

A very good Program. highly recommended

73. Dana Luke says:

I use this helper app every day… it is a worthy successor to the old Windows Powertoy I had with XP.  Thank you so much for this!  You have scored massive karma points for making this great program and sharing it with all of us.

74. raghu says:

Downloaded the application, works like a charm! Thanks a lot. Also, your daughter is adorable.

75. Stevew says:

I too am having a problem with it stating it will not resize after I set the defaults. Have you found a cause/cure for the problem?

76. Adendum says:

Nice one – really missed the Powertoy but this is better!

77. image compression says:

This is one of the nicest articles I have ever read and occasionally I find myself coming here every now and again to read it again if I need to have my memory refreshed about image sizes, soft and hard crop in windows & vista.

Thanks for sharing extremely useful information here.