This time we talk about our vast experience with failed projects. Project "X" is the big topic but there were others.
Listen here –> Play Now
Why do so many projects fail? Well, in our experience, it has to do with some combination of the following:
- Statement of Work
- Conditions of Satisfaction
- Define "Done"
- Define Assumptions
- Can change - just not constantly
- Good ones can actually be tested
- Use Business Analysts for appropriate context
- Build and Deployment: How to get the application created and installed - always underestimated
Cover your ass with detailed status reports (Weekly!)
- What did you do this week
- What is planned for next week
- What did you do that was unplanned (KEY! - This is why you didn't finish everything you planned)
- What resources do you need to get the job done
- What issues are blocking you
Document, Document, Document!!!
Failing project sound effect: http://www.SadTrombone.com