We're delighted to announce that Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 20 released Thursday November 10th,2011!
Note regarding Podcast: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 20 was discussed during the CRM 2011 Update Rollup 5 Podcast delivered on October 26th, 2011.
Related links you should know about:
- Update Rollup 20 Microsoft Download Center page
- Update Rollup 20 "master" Microsoft Knowledge Base article (KB 2550098)
- This article also contains links to related Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
- CRM SE (Sustained Engineering) Update Rollup 20 blog post (to be posted in a few days)
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 and 2011 Update Rollup Release Dates, Build Numbers, and Collateral
Packages are available for download via the Update Rollup 20 Microsoft Download Center page for these CRM components:
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Microsoft Office Outlook
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Email Router
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration Manager
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Typically included in the Server product (extracted download or DVD) in the srsdataconnector folder
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Language Pack (aka Multilanguage User Interface, MUI)
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 20 Prerequisites:
- Update Rollup 7 is a prerequisite for Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration Manager
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 11 (and beyond) Prerequisites:
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 11 added support for SQL Report Viewer 2008 SP1 and this has a prerequisite on .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, so this is also a requirement for installing UR11 and future Update Rollups on your CRM servers, routers, clients, etc.
- Update Rollup 11 also included changes that require Visual C++ 2008 + SP1, so this is also a requirement for installing Update Rollup 11 and future Update Rollups on your Microsoft Dynamics CRM servers, routers, clients, etc.
Issues resolved via Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 20:
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 20 is a cumulative Update Rollup that includes all the fixes for the issues that are documented in the "Master Knowledge Base Articles" for Update Rollups 1 through 20.
Hotfixes and updates that were released as individual fixes:
Update Rollup 20 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 contains no updates that were released as individual fixes.
Other fixes released via CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 20:
- You can delete members in a shared marketing list even though you have only the Read and Append rights in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
- When you open a record in an associated view in Internet Explorer 9, the picklist fields do not work. When you click the picklist fields, nothing occurs
- The mail merge mutex is not cleaned up if a mail merge process is left idle for more than 30 minutes. Therefore, when you run the next mail merge process, you receive an error message that states a mail merge is already running
- When you synchronize Microsoft Dynamics CRM Citrix clients to Microsoft Office Outlook, you receive the following error message:
- An unknown error occurred while synchronizing data to Outlook
- Email messages that are generated by the RightFax software are not tracked in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0. This problem occurs when Microsoft Exchange 2010 is used
- When Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 retrieves user information in a large domain that has multiple child domains, you experience slow performance
- When you associate a contract with an account by using the workflow designer in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0, the contract list displays no active contract for the corresponding customer
- Accounts that have orders which are created in the last six months are displayed in the Accounts: No orders in last 6 months system view
- Assume that an entity has the Cascade Active value specified in the Relationship Behavior for Assign field. If an appointment has relationships with the entity, you cannot assign the appointment to a new owner
- Assume a contact entity contains a white space in a text field in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0. The contact is synchronized continuously in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Outlook, even though no record is changed in the contact
- The Accounts: No orders in last 6 months system view displays a customer multiple times
- Log levels for Microsoft Exchange Web Service (EWS) traces are set to Default instead of Verbose in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
- When you edit multiple email fields in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 with Internet Explorer 9, you receive the following error message:
- Line 51
- Error: Unexpected call to method or property access
- When you synchronize appointment in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 to Microsoft Office Outlook, the appointments are generated as meeting requests even though there are no attendees
- When you save an appointment with zero minute duration, you receive the following error message:
- User is being scheduled outside their work hours
- You cannot change the business unit for a user who is in a resource group when you use the Administrative Mode
- You cannot deploy rules to different users' mailboxes in a Microsoft Exchange 2010 environment. This problem occurs when the Exchange Client Access server (CAS) role and the Exchange Mailbox server role split on separate servers
- If an item is opened in Microsoft Office Outlook, you cannot promote the item from the mail list of the inbox
- Email messages are sent with unexpected characters in the subject header when you use CRM 4.0 email router. Therefore, the email messages may be caught by the spam filters
Hotfixes and updates that you have to enable or configure manually
Update Rollup 20 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 contains one update that you must enable or configure manually:
- KB 2637381: Steps to disable Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client Outlook Object Model read events
- This Knowledge Base article will be available soon
- 64-bit versions of Office 2010 will not be supported in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
- With Update Rollup 8 installed, Microsoft CRM E-mail Router Service supports Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
- With Update Rollup 12 installed, the Rule Deployment Wizard supports Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
Mismatched Update Rollup versions within a Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployment
In a scenario where you may be running many client workstations with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook, a common question is whether it is supported to run mismatched versions. For example, where Update Rollup 20 has been installed on the CRM Server but the Outlook clients are still on Update Rollup 15, or where Update Rollup 10 is on the CRM server but due to updates available to the Outlook client you have decided to install Update Rollup 20 on the clients without installing Update Rollup 20 on the server.
The general rule of thumb is to try to keep the versions in sync as much as possible. However, it is permissible (though not recommended as a long-term solution) to run mismatched Update Rollup versions on Outlook client and server, as Microsoft does do some testing of such combinations.
However, regarding the other Update Rollups (for example Rollups for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Email Router or Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Reporting Extensions), it is not supported nor recommended to run mismatched versions. A best practice is to update these components at the same time you update your CRM Server. Do the best you can to keep these Update Rollup versions in sync.
Internet Explorer 9 Compatibility
The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Sustained Engineering team extensively tested Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 against pre-release versions of Internet Explorer 9 and continue to address compatibility issues, as they're reported, against the released (Released to Web) version of Internet Explorer 9.0. If necessary, they plan to release enhancements via future Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup releases to assure compatibility with Internet Explorer 9.
Premier Field Engineering