The Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 List Component for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 allows SharePoint site collection administrators to configure tracing (enable/disable tracing, configure trace levels and view traces) using a graphical user interface.
In this blog I will walk you through the steps to accomplish above and will also share some facts about Microsoft Dynamics CRM List Component for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 tracing which should help you understand and configure it in an easier manner.
Steps to configure tracing for Microsoft Dynamics CRM List Component
Step 1: Open Configuration UI
Navigate to the URL http(s)://<sitecollection>/crmgrid/configuretracing.aspx in a new browser window.
The <<sitecollection>> is the site collection where Microsoft Dynamics CRM List Component for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 is activated.
For example if your site collection URL is http://myspserver/sites/mysitecollection then the URL of tracing page would be http://myspserver/sites/mysitecollection/crmgrid/configuretracing.aspx
After navigating to this above URL you should see the user interface as shown in the following figure.
2. Enable or Disable tracing
Select Enable tracing check box, specify the required trace level and click on save button to enable tracing. Following are the possible values and meaning of Trace Levels:
3. View/Access Trace logs
When you click on the save button in the above UI it creates a trace list under the root site of your site collection. The name of this list is CRMListComponentTraceLogs_4FB367FB-A16E-481e-B56F-5788EEB27E5C. All traces are stored in this custom list.
The tracing UI gets refreshed with the URL of the created trace list as shown in the following screen shot.
You can view/access the traces using one of the following possible ways :
a. Click on the hyper-link in the trace configuration page.
b. Navigate to this trace list from SharePoint UI
(Site Actions -> View All Site Content -> Under Lists Heading -> CRMListComponentTraceLogs_4FB367FB-A16E-481e-B56F-5788EEB27E5C
c. Navigate to http(s)://<<sitecollection>>/Lists/CRMListComponentTraceLogs_4FB367FBA16E481eB56F5788
4. Save Trace Logs
"Export to Excel" ribbon action on SharePoint list can be used to save the trace logs for future reference.
Some facts about Microsoft Dynamics CRM List Component Tracing
1. Microsoft Dynamics CRM List component is deployed as a sandboxed solution on SharePoint. It doesn’t have access to file system due to sandbox restrictions. Due to this reason a SharePoint list is used to write trace information.
2. Only SharePoint site collection administrators can configure tracing. Other users will see error when they'll try to access the configuration UI.
3. Only SharePoint administrator has read access to the trace list. While creating the trace a new permission level "CRM List Log" and a new group "CRMListLog" is created at the site collection level to configure such unique permission set. By default all users of the site collection are added to this new group.
4. The security configuration had done only once while creating the list for the first time. If you have made any changes to the list permission after you have enabled the tracing for this component you'll have to manage the security for this list yourselves.
5. Also if any user is added in the site collection after tracing was enabled then he/she should be added to the “CRMListLog" group manually.
6. As traces are generated the list can grow in size and can have impact on SharePoint performance. It is the responsibility of the admin to manage the trace list size. He can periodically take backup of this list or disable tracing if it is no longer required.
7. To get more detailed trace information SharePoint administrator can also enable tracing on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. For more information on how to enable tracing on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748619.aspx
8. There is no entry point to tracing configuration page from within CRM. SharePoint administrator will have to navigate to the URL as explained in step 1.