This is commonly asked question in the MSDN forums so the CRM Support Team decided to create a post that could become the defacto FAQ.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 on Microsoft Small Business Server 2008.
- Install the Windows Server 2008 Indexing Service Role
- If you do not install Indexing Service Role you will see the following error during the installation.
1. Click Start - Click Administrative Tools - Click Server Manager
2. Expand Roles
3. Right click the Files Services Role and choose add Role Services
4. Check the Indexing Service Role and then finish the wizard.
5. Start the Installation of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 and the Indexing Service required component should not be listed anymore.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise
Note: SBS 2008 installs SQL Express for monitoring, but that cannot be used to store the CRM 4.0 databases. You can install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 on the Small Business Server or on an additional server.
- If you try to install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 and use the SQL Express install on SBS you will see this Error in the EDW.
- If you install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 on the SBS 2008 Server and use the default configuration for SQL Server Reporting Services it sets SSL to be required.
- If this is the case then you will need to use https when you enter the SRS server url during the installation of the Dynamics CRM 4.0 Server.
- The second option would be to configure SRS to not require SSL. You can update the rsreportserver.config file to set the secureconnectionlevel = 0
1. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLServer\Reporting Services\ReportServer
2. Open the rsreportserver.config file in notepad
3. Update the secureconnectionlevel = 0
- Once Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 is installed you will need to install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services to run reports.
- If the Data Connector is not installed you will see this Error when running reports
Execution 'xxxxxxxxx' cannot be found.
Installing the Data Connector
1. During the install of the data connector make sure to click the check for updates. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950100
2. After the Data connector install you may need to give permissions to the SQL Service Account on the MSCRM_Config database if you are seeing the following error when running reports within CRM.
Reporting Error: The report cannot be displayed
If you check the SRS logs or run the report in SRS you will see the permission error “Cannot open database “MSCRM_Config” requested by login. The login failed.”
3. After adding the permissions in SQL make sure to restart the SQL Server Reporting Services service.
4. Run an IISReset
a. Click Start, Click Run and type in IISReset
b. If you have UAC enabled and you are not logged in as the admin.
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories and right click command prompt and choose Run as administrator
c. Type in IISReset and hit enter.
Hope this helps you get Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 installed successfully on Small Business Server 2008.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM Support Team