The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Sustained Engineering team released Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 4 on Thursday, May 7, 2009.
Below are the links to the release and related information about the Rollup. Please see the Knowledge Base (KB) article for more details about the Update Rollup 4 content and instructions.
- Microsoft Download Center: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0ddf8e83-5d9c-4fe7-9ae6-f2713a024071
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=968176
Install Details about Update Rollup 4
- Update Rollup 1, Update Rollup 2 and Update Rollup 3 are not prerequisites for installing Update Rollup 4
- The Update Rollup 4 client can be deployed before the server is upgraded to Update Rollup 4
- Update Rollup 4 can be uninstalled
How to avoid a required reboot when installing a patch for the CRM Outlook Client
- Before starting the update process, go to Options from the CRM menu. On the “General” tab, uncheck the bottom checkbox that says “Always run the…Host process” and then click “Ok” button.
- When manually checking for updates, go ahead and close Outlook by choosing Exit from Outlook’s File menu. This will close Outlook along with the CRM add-in and the Hoster process.
- Now check for updates by selecting All Programs from the Start menu. Then select Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 and choose Update.
- Restart Outlook after the patch is installed.
Note: If the user doesn’t want to make the permanent change of always having the Hoster process exit when Outlook exits, they can close the Hoster process manually after Outlook has been closed by right clicking on the Dynamics icon in the Notification Area of the Task Bar.
Making Update Rollup 4 available to your clients via AutoUpdate
You can find more information about AutoUpdate in Eric Newell’s blog entry at http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/05/08/crm-client-autoupdate.aspx and the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Operating and Maintaining Guide, part of the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Implementation Guide.
If you have a direct internet connection from your client machines, you can avoid some of the configuration steps and use the LinkId directly. Below are the necessary steps to configure the AutoUpdate for Update Rollup 4.
Note: These are steps 5, 6 and 7 of Eric’s blog.
Steps for the English version of the product
The PatchId and LinkId values will be different for every localized version of CRM 4.0. The IDs can be found in the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=968176.
1. Create the configuration XML file and save it.
2. From the command prompt, go to the directory where the ClientPatchConfigurator.exe is located ([ServerInstallDir]\Tools and type microsoft.crm.tools.clientpatchconfigurator.exe [configfile].xml
3. Once the patch has been uploaded, launch the Outlook client
The dialog should now appear saying that “Update Rollup 4 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 (KB 968176)” is available. If the <IsMandatory> is set to false, the client will only see the update if the user selects “Check for Updates” via the CRM Menu in the Outlook client.
Link and Patch IDs for Update Rollup 4 are now part of the KB article. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=968176 for more details.