CRM MVP Julie Yack shares with us a tip she recently discovered.
I recently installed SP2 for Office 2007 on my Vista Enterprise laptop, which includes IE8 with the install. Once I installed it I began experiencing a rather annoying behavior in CRM. I would open through a series of windows (in my particular case I was working with Workflows in the Settings section) and each time a new window needed to open, I would get the error message that a pop-up was blocked and that I needed to make sure that my CRM server was in my safe sites list. Also, when this message displayed the pop-up had in fact “popped up” but was minimized. This only happened when using the Outlook client, not the browser and only on my laptop, not my desktop.
So I of course assumed that the new IE8 install did not actually take all my settings as it offered and I accepted. But when I looked at pop-up blocker settings, my CRM server was most certainly there. So I remove it from the list, close and restart IE8. No difference.
It was annoying, but not a show-stopper for me so I sat on it a day. During that time we had reason to re-start the CRM server (independent of any of my current annoyance). Still no difference.
Frustrated, I emailed a group of very smart people, my fellow CRM MVPs, to see if anyone had heard of this and had solved it. Got back a couple of questions and comments, but mostly just the sound of crickets.
Then my friend Menno te Koppele (my favorite “CRM freak”) sent me a series of instant messages and saved the day. Here are the steps:
In IE8 go to Tools->Internet Options->Security tab. Once there, click to “Reset all zones to default level”. Additionally, click “Enable Protected Mode”. I had already had protected mode selected, so I unchecked it, applied it, closed and restarted both IE and Outlook. Then went back to re-check it and apply it. Again, close and restart both IE and Outlook. This took care of my problem!