Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 : Data Migration Manager with John O’Donnell

johnMcD John O'Donnell, Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist, is on Channel 9. He demonstrates the new Data Migration Manager tool in Microsoft Dynamics 4.0 showing how it can be used to import and link multiple entities from CSV files.

John O-Donnell blogs at http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde.

1. Melanie says:

Hi John.  I have been watching your videos and was wondering if you were going to create any videos for upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0?

Also can anyone further explain below (we host CRM)

1)       In 4.0, it appears that CRM can be configured so that no email router is needed at all – everything can be done in Outlook.  Please see page 23 and following of the attached ExchangeRouterExamples document.

a.       Does this really work?

b.      In 4.0, it is possible to turn off the CRM tag in the email subject and have CRM intelligently figure out which account an email is for.  Does this work when Outlook is used as the email router?

2)       If we wanted (or the client wanted) to continue using an email router, here is my assessment that I would like to have verified:

a.       Email tags (aka tokens) would still have to be used in the subject of emails

b.      The customer would still need to set up email forwarding to us as outlined in the Exchange section of the attached user guide.  What are the actual steps a customer would take to set up forwarding rules in their Exchange system – is it just what is written on page 20 and following in the attached ExchangeRouterExamples document?

c.       We could receive that email either with Exchange or with some other SMTP email, then have the router associate the email with CRM.  Would we prefer to use something other than Exchange to receive these emails?  Does that really work?

thanks

2. Thanks for the feedback. I will look at making a video of the upgrade process from 3 to 4.

As for email

CRM 4.0 no longer needs the tags on the subject line. CRM 4.0 can intelligently work out the record to attach these emails to.

Also CRM 4.0 has a pluggable email architecture. This means CRM could work with other email systems beyond Microsoft Exchange.

3. Melanie says:

Thanks for answering the questions.  I really enjoy the video’s.  It was a good idea to put yourself up in the corner because we can read the screen better.

Another question:  Do you know if the hosted bits are the same as the other bits?

Do you know if CRM 4 only supports forms authentication in a hosted environment?

4. BJ says:

Hi, John.  We are considering using Dynamics CRM 4.0 for some classes we teach at the business school.  I was wondering if you know how large the sample database is (e.g., rough # of orders or customers, etc).  Since Dynamics is a new app for us, we want to make sure we know the sample db has enough database before we put into a huge amount of effort learning the application.  Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

5. Aamir says:

Hi, John O’Donnell

Thanks !

I made it to work with user mapping and Status ,Status Reason.

Its really kool product .

/Aamir

6. Arthur says:

My migration manager doesn’t work?

Even a repair of an new installation doesn’t work.

Crm40 workks normally, on http://crmdemo.

When i log in trough the data migration manager the application says that

The configuration manager cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down?

But everything is working very good.

What is the problem?

7. Hollie says:

Thanks for the video.  Showing the relationship mapping was very helpful.  I’m able to import contacts related to accounts, but am having a hard time also setting a primary contact for the account.  Is it possible to set the primay contact using the Data Migration Manager?

8. Logan says:

Hi John

A quick question…How do I migrate from CRM 3 to CRM 4? Do  you know of some tool that might help with this process?

Logan

BTW: Fantastic blog

9. Wendy Neu says:

Hi John,

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks,

10. The following information acts as a continuation to the brief introduction and demo of Data Migration

11. Adrian says:

I don’t really get this about look-up fields.

At approx 7.18, you claim that in order to get a lookup to work, you need to use a business required field? Is this really true? I mean, last name is probably not unique, nor is full name (if I could use that).

I would probably like to use a combination of several fields. But this is not possible? Or can it be done by using "custom" data maps?

Thanks,

12. Jerry Savoy says:

Hi John – I am working with DMM on a server with 2 orgs (Multi-Tenancy).  I set up the DMM to be configured to Org1, then in CRM, I created another Org called Org2.  How do I use the DMM to import data into Org2? I’ve noticed that there is no Org selection dialog box during the DMM import process wizard?

Thank you.

13. Sjoerd de Clippelaar sdclippelaar@medcos.nl says:

WENDY –> "Very helpful video and good blog.  I am having a bit of trouble in importing accounts that I don’t wish assigned to me.  I have owners for the accounts but need to know how to link MS CRM Users to the Accounts in my file.  I have a column that contains the account owners and those owners are setup in MS CRM, however, it does not permit me to choose a user mapping.  It insists upon importing the Accounts to me."

Dear Wendy,

If you open a USER in the administration you see a GUID in de Title of the screen. To get the GUID press F11 and insert it in a table you want to import under the USER column.

MS CRM will recognize the GUID and connect the Account etc. to the USER.

ADRIAN –> "If I import contacts and accounts, I want to set a contact as primary contact in account, and add it to the account’s contacts. It can get the contacts to appear in the account’s contacts, but I cannot set a contact as primary contact (in the same import). Is this not possible."

Dear Adrian,

To get a primary contact in a Account create a Column in the table with Contacts and Accounts that contains a unique number or letters for ex. NL1000001 (Dutch Contact). So now the Account and Contact in the table have the same Primary Contact ID. If you use the Data Migration Manager this ID is the Primary Contact in the Account which looks for the Contact (Primary Key) in the Contact table. When importing the Contacts this ID is the Contact (Primary Key). The Data Migration Manager will do the rest, cause its a lookup field in the Account.

Hopefully I helped you both,

Greetz

Sjoerd de Clippelaar

14. Sjoerd says:

@Hollie @Adrian

To get the primary contacts in the accounts add a primary key in the table and map it to Contact (Primary Key) and Primary Contact in Account when using Data Migration Manager.

@Wendy Neu

To get a User at a account, contact or other table row. Open the User in the Administration and press F11. Copy the GUID and paste that in the User column of the table you want to import. Than map that column to the User in the Data Migration Manager, it will put the dataa under the assigned user.

Hopefully this advice helped you all out.

Sjoerd (sdclippelaar@medcos.nl)

15. Ian says:

Can this be used via the command line?

16. Hi John, do you have a Data Map for mapping CRM 3 data to CRM 4?  We’d like to upgrade, but we’d first like to stage our CRM 4 deployment with our current data, train our users on how to use the system with it’s new features using their own data, and then deploy.  We’ve got a few issues with this as well, we use c360’s multi-currency component, and I’m pretty sure this will throw a wrench into the gears somewhere along the way.  Thanks!

17. Miklos Hoffmann says:

Hi John,

I try to import additional addresses to accounts without any success. (Account and contact import works fine.

I got the following error message: "An error has occurred. Please see the log file for more information. An unexpected error occurred."

Is there any trick?

Thanx, Miklos

18. Miklos says:

Dear All,

Back to my comment (Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:44 PM by Miklos Hoffmann) I found the problem.

You have to specify the ObjectTypeCode, it is not enough to specifiy the parent object.

Regards, Miklos

19. Before reading this post, it is recommended to go through the brief introduction and demo of Data Migration

20. Before reading this post, it is recommended to go through the brief introduction and demo of Data Migration

21. Matt Scott says:

We get an error when running DMM that says Unable to Connect..Check URL…Yet CRM 4.0 is running just fine..

Any suggestions?

22. The Data Migration Manager is a powerful feature in Microsoft CRM 4.0, designed to handle the migration

23. Among a rich concourse of features being offered by Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0; one is Data Migration

24. Here is a write-up to help Data migration Manager (DMM) users who are looking for tips and tricks to

25. Here is a write-up to help Data migration Manager (DMM) users who are looking for tips and tricks to

26. Joe Public says:

Hi John,

How do you import large notes that have carriage return and line feeds using the Data Migration Manager?  The importer treats the C LF as a delimiter and gets confused.

Thanks

27. Dana says:

Control of information is hugely powerful. ,

28. Alan says:

Hi John,

I exported emails form another CRM instance. many emails’ "To" field contains multiple recipients, i.e. "Bill Hoffman; whofmann@corpemail.com".

Seems DMM can’t handle this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

29. Mass uploading data to leads and activities in the same time says:

Hi John

i am new to Ms CRM , and i got a task to upload some Leads details and them activities from Excel sheets to MS CRM 4. i alredy downoaded the leads details but i dont know how to mass upload the leads Activities (phone callMeeting)every one to its customer.

Can you please advice on this?

Skip to main content