Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Virtual PC Demonstration – August 2007 Release

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM team, okay really mostly Menno, okay really only Menno, has released a demonstration of a virtual PC (VPC) installation. You can download the demo at:

NOTE:  This image is for demonstration purposes only by Microsoft authorized Partners. The contents of this image should not be copied or redistributed.

What’s Installed on this Virtual PC Image

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (SP2)
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005
  • Internet Explorer 7
  • Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
  • Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
  • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 (V3C with Rollup 2)
  • Microsoft Dynamics CRM Laptop and Desktop Client
  • Microsoft Dynamics CRM SDK (C:\CRM Tools\SDK)
  • Microsoft Dynamics Web Parts in http://intranet  and http://extranet  (not configured)
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
  • Windows Desktop Search 3.01
  • POP3 E-Mail Services (No Exchange)
  • CRM Caching Tool
  • Web-To-Leads http://localhost:4444/webtolead

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM application within the image is provisioned with fresh sample data from the Sample Data Wizard which can be found on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Server Disc. All the customizations and workflow rules from the previous VPC have been imported and fixed.
Within the image, Microsoft Dynamics CRM is accessible through Internet Explorer by navigating to http://crm or by simply opening Microsoft Outlook 2007.

What’s NOT installed on this Virtual PC Image

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM Mobile

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM Exchange Router (since we are using POP3 e-mail for to reduce overhead)

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM Analytics Foundation

• Self Service SharePoint Portal Example

• Marketing, Sales and Service SharePoint Portal Examples

• Analytics SharePoint Portal Example

• Microsoft Business Scorecard Manager

• Word Task Pane Integration

• Outlook Inbox Populator Tool

Minimum Hardware Recommendations

• PC with 1.2 gigahertz or higher processor clock speed

• 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of RAM (4 GB recommended for optimum performance)

• 12 or more GB of available hard disk space

• Super VGA with 1024×768 resolution video adaptor and monitor

• DVD drive

• Support for high speed USB 2 if using an external USB 2 hard drive to store the image

NOTE:  Though the image can be utilized on a single PC or laptop computer, it is strongly suggested that the image be run using an external USB 2.0 hard drive for best performance. If you do not have an external drive, you can run the image locally on the host computer; however, you will experience a decrease in performance.

Ned Kandzor

1. The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Team Blog just announced the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Virtual PC Demonstration

2. Bill Walter says:

Is the SBS2003 version of the VPC still available that has Exchange 2003 incorporated? Has it been updated with the latest fixes and patches and has it been upgraded to WSS 3.0? If so what is the download address?

3. Hadi Teo says:

Looks like the settings page is hidden, and i have tried to manually load the "Export Customization" page with this link :

but it is loaded with blank page.

Really appreciate for some hints about this.

4. Pasirodė nauja Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 virtuali mašina. Joje yra paruošta: Windows 2003 Server R2,

5. mennotk says:

Hadi, I have a feeling you mix up a few things.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM can be accessed via http://crm on the new VPC. If you open Outlook and IE together you will run into a well known bug; the settings button will dissapear. Close Outlook and hit F5 in IE.

6. Hadi Teo says:

Hi Menno,

Thanks very much for your solution. You’re correct, i was opening the IE and Outlook client at the same time. The solution was closing the Outlook client first and then refresh the IE web client.

7. It is very nice to see that Lithuanians are also using Microsoft CRM!  Marius, I would love to chat sometime!  I used to live in Lithuania!

8. This page would collect all known ( to me ) VPCs and related Softeware. VPCs: Virtual PC 2007 , Virtual

9. Austin says:

Is anyone else getting random authentication prompts in the web client?

10. Peter says:

I download and install this on my computer. but when I start vpc, i got a ip conflict error. my computer run in a local network with a

gateway, so i change vpc id to another one:

but I can not access cmr server at http://crm with

IE, i got error Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

any idea?

11. John says:

Is there a expiration date on this VPC image ??

12. Mark says:

Yes I am also getting the authentication error.  When do you get it.  I haven’t been able to pin it down yet.  I kept getting it when I entered a new product.

13. mennotk says:

Hello all,

I hope I can answer all your questions in one comment.

1. Expiration date can be found by going to Start / Run and type in winver

2. Random authentication errors can be solve by adding http://crm into the trusted sites.

3. Please use the included .VMC file to start the image. If you have created your own make sure the NIC is set to "Local Only"

Please keep an eye on my own blog where I try to answer questions on a more regular basis..

14. Mark says:

2. And turn off the popup blocker

15. mennotk says:

Or add http://crm to the allowed sites in the pop-up blocker settings.

16. Ryan says:

What do I have to do to get the included copy of visual studio to be able to author a web application?  I want to test out a simple custom app using iframes, but the included VS.NET doesn’t have the web application template installed.

17. L'équipe Microsoft CRM a publié une nouvelle machine virtuelle de démonstration de MSCRM 3.0 que