A New Set of Control Skins

One more set of control skins is up and ready for you to use. I had hoped to have two ready, but one set needed some additional tweaking work that I haven’t been able to finish while on vacation in Thailand, and I’m going to stop trying until I return to Seattle on 4/14.

This new set is very rough and organic in appearance, but it can still work on various sites or it can be used in early mockups of a site to give the mockups a rough and sketched appearance. I take this sort of approach to many of my early mockups; especially, if I don’t want reviewers to focus on design details.

Here’s a screen shot of the new set of controls.

Screen shot

You can also view a live version of the controls or download the Page.xaml, Page.xaml.cs/Page.xaml.vb, and App.xaml, so you can apply the style to your own site.

For those of you who are interested in designing your own control skins, there is a good walkthrough of how you might do this on LiquidBoy’s blog (at the start of this post there is a link to a walkthrough on creating a button control skin called “Skinning a button – 4 different ways and counting”), and you can download a Beta version of Blend to use for creating your skins on Silverlight.net (along with all of the other tools you might need).

Enjoy the new skin!

1. val_hristov says:

2. Via ce billet de Kathy Kam , on apprend que Corrina Barber – qui est le designer en charge de créer

3. If anyone still needed to see the Power of Skinning for Silverlight controls, well, Corrina just did

4. Corrina Barber posted a cool looking new skin for Silverlight controls, which indeed looks perfect for

5. Michael Sync on User Control Inheritance, Expression Team provides DeepZoom collection example, Pete

6. Zunanji viri says:

7. Corrina has posted 4 skins so far for some of the standard Silverlight controls; Bubbly View Download…

8. David Arno says:

I posted last week about a set of skins that Corrina Barber had produced for Silverlight. Well she has added a fourth one to the set and it is by far the best at showing just what can be done with Silverlight skins…

9. A few astute readers have already found a couple issues and sent in a few ideas.  I’ve updated the

10. The Thinker says:

Corrina Barber has a great post about her new Silverlight controls skins which provide a pencil drawn visual style for the common controls. Click to see live demo …

11. Rudi Grobler says:

If you haven't seen the excellent control skins released by Corrina Barer (A designer on the Silverlight

12. Beyond | IT says:

From Miguel’s de Icaza’s web log : Now that controls are part of Silverlight 2.0 and that most of the

13. swythan says:

Has anyone seen anything similar to the "Rough" skin for desktop WPF (i.e. not Silverlight) anywhere?

14. CorrinaB says:

Hi val_hristov,

I’m responding to your question on "Do you use Blend to create skins? My designer is trying to create a skin for the calendar, but he is unable to edit the control template… It seems that this feature is not implemented or disabled. How do you recommend to proceed? I am afraid that he is not very proficient in XAML and will not be able to create a good looking skin only with XAML coding."

It turns out that editing the calendar template as a whole unit in Blend is not supported at this time. The method I use is to copy and paste the individual xaml regions of the calendar from Visual Studio into Blend, and, then, I design each separately. Next, I copy and paste from Blend into Visual Studio, and compile and run to verify that my changes look as I had planned. This process is not optimal at this time, but will be improved in the future.

• Corrina
  15. Brad Abrams says:

In this example I will demonstrate a very simple call to the FlickR REST APIs from a Silverlight client.

16. Later today, I present @ VS Live the following talk … Building Rich Internet Application using Microsoft

17. Skinning Silverlight controls just got easier

18. Rudi Grobler says:

Every .NET developer worth their salt has probably played round with Lutz Roeder's Reflector… This

19. ASPInsiders says:

Nikhil Kothari has a great post up from this weekend on providing themes for Silverlight 2 applications: