SUSE’s Linux distros for WSL now available in the Windows Store

We’re excited to announce that you can now download & install openSUSE Leap 42 and SLES 12 via the Windows Store RIGHT NOW!

Important Note: You will need to be running any Windows 10 Insider build >= #16215 and have the WSL optional component enabled.

We’ve been excitedly waiting for this moment ever since we announced that you’d be able to install and run multiple distro’s side-by-side on WSL and follows-on from our announcement last week that Ubuntu is now available for download from the Windows Store.

This announcement finally delivers on our commitment that, one day, we’d be able to run more than one distro on WSL ... alongside your favorite Windows tools. That day is today! As we’ve always said … WSL was built to be distro-agnostic; this is the proof!

Our sincerest thanks to the great team at SUSE for all their hard work and patience, and congratulations on your new delivery! We look forward to working with you to grow the community of users that run openSUSE and SLES on WSL.

Now, go get your green on 😁

Rich & the WSL team.

P.S: For those of you wondering where Fedora is - the Fedora team are wrapping-up & testing their package; It'll be in the store soon!

1. Vitor Mikaelson says:

Would be awesome Debian! Or some other super light distro, just to use bash/zsh, really!

1. If all you want to do is run bash scripts, with basic GNU tools, Cygwin might be for you. But the moment you need to run a Linux binary that isn’t in Cygwin … 😉

1. mark says:

This is a valid comment that you make – alternatives exist. Also virtualVM and stuff.

The thing that I have found so far is that actually the bash-on-win10 (well windows subsystem for linux), works very well in my opinion, and is also actually a LOT easier to setup and “get to work”. I really did not have to do anything at all, it really worked on a first try as-is, without me having to read much at all (I did read a bit, including some blog entries but mostly online tutorials).

So while I agree with Rich that cygwin etc… all can work fine, I think that the windows subsystem is actually easier. And now with suse also available, you can actually have even more choice. While the same can possibly be done via cygwin (the source of programs will remain the same after all), I think that in many cases, it really is a lot easier to just use that windows subsystem.

At the least that was my own genuine impression so far – I think I have now tested it since ~4 weeks or so. It may not be 100% perfect but the issues that I have had so far are so minor that I did not even feel to file issue trackers for that (perhaps I will after a new developer build… but for now I just keep on gathering info and experience).

2. Gavin Groom says:

Great news! I love using WSL and do so every day.

P.S. Where can one get a hold of that sweet SUSE plushie?

1. I got mine from the SUSE team. Will see if I can get more from them 😉

1. Gavin Groom says:

Awesome – thank you!

3. Awesome, congratulations to the whole team!
    Now I want twould things: ability to easily create new Linux instances (new Ubuntu’s, etc), and a “Dockerfile” way to build these instances!

1. Thanks, but that’s what Docker is for.

1. I know. And wouldn’t it be awesome if we could automate those instances?
        We are programmers. You don’t have to do it, just open the APIs and we will do it.

1. If only ’twas that simple 😉

2. fpqc says:

Microsoft is only allowing the distro vendors/community maintainers to put the distros up in the store for WSL. I know that the Arch Linux team reached out, and Redhat is incoming. The reason for this is that the new distribution method is going to be through the Windows store.

Replacing one distro with another is not difficult to do manually if you know what you’re doing. The Windows paths will be different for Ubuntu/Suse vs the legacy install location (%localappdata%\lxss), but the process as described in:

is pretty much identical up to the location of the install. Essentially, all you need to do is untar the docker image’s rootfs from an existing WSL environment, then replace the rootfs from the Windows side using only move (cut/paste) operations (these preserve all relevant extended attributes, which are fragile under Win32 operations). If replacing Ubuntu, you then have to do (from cmd)

ubuntu config –set-default-user root

and continue your setup, then change the default user to the one you wanted.

This procedure is not supported (similar to manually mucking around in the registry), but the WSL driver team does accept bug reports for different distros (since you can almost always reproduce bugs by chrooting into the new rootfs rather than performing this manual replacement process).

If you want to see a particular distro with a Windows image, convince the official maintainers to contact Microsoft on the WSL Github issues page and make their distro available on the Windows Store.

4. Shafiq Jetha says:

A co-worker used Ubuntu on Windows to SSH into his Linux box during a demo he gave last week. Small steps, right Rich? 🙂

I had read a while ago that the Windows Sub-system for Linux was meant only for developer machines, but I saw recently that WSL was coming to Windows Server 2016. Does this meant that we will be able to run Ubuntu on Windows Server 2016?

1. Every small step forward is good 😉

To be fair though: If one installs GIT and adds “UNIX tools to the path”, you can ssh into anything you like!

WSL is coming to Server, but only for interactive user scenarios – for admin purposes, not for running production grade MySQL, Postgres, etc.

5. mark says:

Thanks for the update Rich (and the WSL team but I refer to Rich here mostly because of the blog entries).

The blog entries not only help about news per se, which is already good; but for me in particular, I need a lot of documentation help every now and then, just to stay up to date, learn new stuff, learn where things are etc… etc. – so the whole blog series is actually really useful.

I will have a look eventually at this and try it … probably not within the next days, but in a time span of the next ~4 weeks or so. I’ll have a look how things go, in particular whether it is possible that I can e. g. have suse and ubuntu work “side by side”, without me getting confused (which will probably take a while).

Right now a minor question I wonder about is what will be about /mnt/c – I assume that this will refer to the “currently used” variant, e. g. when one starts bash on win10? But anyway, I am sure that I will find that out eventually. Thanks for the updates!

6. mark says:

By the way I just noticed that you placed a green lizard there before the monitor – did not notice it before. 😉

7. Steven Don says:

Awesome news. openSUSE is my favourite distro too 🙂

8. seo says:

Nothing shows care and commitment as much working on quality features like Performance and General Polish.

Great job guys!