ifconfig and network connection enumeration support in Windows 10 Insider build 14965

Enable network connection enumeration is currently the most-requested idea in our command-line User Voice. Or at least it was, until Windows 10 Insider build #14965 was released, which support for network connection enumeration:

• via the command-line using the ifconfig command
  • via the /proc/net/dev virtual device
  • via the Netlink socket’s NETLINK_ROUTE protocol’s RTM_GETLINK and RTM_GETADDR API

Below is a screenshot of Bash on Windows running ifconfig:

ifconfig

This new feature should unblock tools/languages/features including

Note: At this time of writing, there are a couple of related issues that you may trip over:
BSOD starting Vivaldi Browser #1344

Node: invalid argument, uv_interface_addresses #1343

The team are working on fixes for these issues which will bubble up to insiders ASAP.

In the meantime, please do try out this feature and let us know if you find issues!

1. Doug Estey says:

YUUUUUUUUUGE

2. Martin Wolf says:

That is awesome, indeed. Any ideas when we can expect this on stable?

1. These changes will be delivered in Windows 10 Creator’s Update, due spring 2017.

3. Jan Lipničan says:

When can we expect this fixes to be in production windows ?

4. Mohamed says:

is there a way to get the bash update without updating the whole windows 10 to the new build ?

1. No – WSL depends upon several key features & internal workings of the Windows kernel, many of which are rapidly evolving to accommodate WSL and other team’s requirements, and cannot currently be separated.

5. George McCauley says:

Can expect mounting nfs/cifs filesystems soon too?

6. Nathen says:

Really nice work, thanks for adding it

7. PeteS says:

While this is an important step, the continuing unavailability of iwconfig and related shortcomings leaves this an incomplete solution. When can we expect more complete network support including wireless devices?

1. Do please upvote here if you’d like to see iwconfig too: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908-command-prompt-console-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windo/suggestions/17268656-add-wireless-device-support

I’ll also chase up with the team when everyone gets back from Xmas.

8. malik says:

what about ubuntu 16.x along with the ifconfig / ip addr / mtr and specially systemd ? is there any idea going around to bring the new systemd system on windows bash ? .. really need to work on systemd and firewalld to check django site with firewall allowed and disallowed options 🙂

1. Please peruse the other posts on this blog: We’ve already announced 16.04 support, ifconfig etc.

Also, do check our GitHub: https://github.com/microsoft/bashonwindows. Mtr won’t work at present since it requires raw sockets which, for security reasons, are not broadly available in Windows at this time.

Could you expand on “new systemd”? What are you actually looking to do?

9. passerby says:

Thank you for fixing! expecting next update. Lol

1. Yup – Insider builds are essentially just weekly snapshots of the daily builds that we churn through as we build and integrate all the features destined for the next major OS update. So, the current Insider builds are useful if you can’t wait for Creator Update to finally land, for example 🙂

10. Abhirav says:

I am on insider build right now but can’t get ifconfig to work even after all the updates. Can you please suggest what I can do to get it working.

1. What do you see when you run these scripts?
      From Cmd: C:\>ver
      From Bash: $ lsb_release -a

11. tdifilippo says:

Hi,
    I have a quick question. I joined the insider program yesterday (better late than never) and initially set the Insider Level as ‘Release Preview’. I quickly changed it to ‘Fast’ so that I could get the newer DSL. As far as Ubuntu, I upgraded to 16.04 using the ouch upgrade path, and some quick fixes. My question is how can I get a newer DSL, or do I have to wait for next weeks update? I would like to test some issues with Python flask apps, it’s claims that it’s fixed based on the network enumeration (https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/1707?_pjax=%23js-repo-pjax-container), but I use wireless and wonder if DSL will fix this. Please let me know how to update and whether this has been tested. In the anniversary version, flask does not properly run, regardless of Ubuntu version.

1. Once you’re on the Insider builds (run WinVer from Win | R – your build # should be > 15030], you will have a recent insider build with the latest support for all the syscalls that light-up the latest Linux features. You may, however, be running Ubuntu 14.04 if you installed WSL while running Anniversary Update. If so, you’ll need to upgrade your distro:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

12. Ed Overacker says:

Rich, I just watched https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/514. You got me hooked. I’ve been around Unix since 1982, running on a PDP-11. Super job on the interface. I teach Linux and Networking at my local Community College and use “ifconfig” for several labs. I keep getting this error: Warning: cannot open /proc/net/dev (No such file or directory). Limited output.

1. Hey Ed – many thanks, and glad to here you’re buzzed about WSL too 🙂

It’s likely you’re not yet upgraded to Creators Update – you’ll need to be since Anniversary Update doesn’t include much of the networking support required to run ifconfig. AU also lacks MANY features required to run node, Java, Go, Rust, Elixir, .NET Core, Apache, NGINX, etc.

Skip to main content