Today we released Beta 2 of VS2008. This is the first public release from Microsoft that contains a nontrivial amount of code that I wrote (even though I haven't written too much code just yet). I had barely synched up the source tree and only fixed a couple of bugs when we released Beta 1 but now I've found my feet and am contributing more.
- A promotion to the new Developer menu
- Hot path - find the critical path/paths through your call trees
- Noise reduction - trim and/or fold your call trees so that they are easier to examine. See above for folding example.
- Comparison reports - compare subsequent profiler runs to determine if code changes are improving performance
- x64 OS support - profile on x64 Vista or W2K3 server
If you can, please download it and let us know what you think. If you don't have the time at least take a look at the overview video showing some of the major features. You should also check out Ian's entry about controlling data collection while profiling. Hopefully I'll have time to go through some of the new profiler-specific features soon.